Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 08:56 AM

Default QQ - flop and turn play on 6max 100NL

100NL 6-seat table, 5 handed...

Only at the table for about 3 orbits. Iīve seen Villain call down a couple of hands with absolutely nothing. Havenīt seen the button in any hands yet.

SB ($106.00)
BB ($157.75)
Villain ($40.00)
Hero ($111.50)
Button ($285.00)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: ($21.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5 </font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, Button folds, SB calls $25.

Turn: ($81.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $77</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB is all-in ($71.50)</font>.

River: ($223.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

I felt my prelfop bet was just fine, but if you have any comments...

My flop play - the $5 bet from Villain looked weak to me. Since Iīd seen him call down with nothing, and the button was still to act behind me, I thought $30 would be the right amount to chase them both out.

The turn... Most I put him on right now is a flushdraw with perhaps a pair or an overcard to my queens - but would he have called my flop raise with this? The pot is over $80... Am I right here to push him allin ? Or would you give Villain credit for a set or AA/KK? I kinda felt that if I check behind him here, he will probably push on the river anyhow, and I donīt see myself laying this down. Bad?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: QQ - flop and turn play on 6max 100NL

This is tough. Given your read on villain, I guess the play is ok, as his range of hands could be quite wide.

[ QUOTE ]
I kinda felt that if I check behind him here, he will probably push on the river anyhow, and I donīt see myself laying this down. Bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I may be tempted to check behind on the turn, and call any blank river. This gives him a chance to bluff at a missed draw, or to "value-bet" a worse hand.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 AM

If you have really good reads this play is fine. Against somehow solid player your play is suicidal.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:29 AM

OK, letīs say I didnīt have any reads on Villain.

Would you still raise him on the flop? And if so - how much?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:04 AM

I like the idea of raising the flop to $20. that should be more than enough to push others out and charge him real well if he is on a draw. It's also small enough that I'm not bloating the pot size. If he calls, I probably check behind on the turn and call a reasonable bet on the river. If a total blank hits on the river and he checks again, I probably value bet for 1/2 the pot. This line has the advantage of not completely committing your whole stack to just a pair of queens.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:23 AM

against good players, this is fine as good players usually aren't this passive with their sets.