Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Lakers -1 at Orlando

According to wagerline, 79.1% of the public is on the Lakers -1. Usually, I'd stay away from the public's picks and even tend to bet against them, but imo public seems to be on the right side. What confuses me really is that despite the heavy money coming in on the Lakers, the line is really not moving much. Some books moved the line to Lakers -1.5, but I would have expected a much bigger change.

On the surface: Lakers are on a hot streak, winning 8 of last 10. Orlando has lost 3 straight, going 2-8 last 10 games.

Beside the fact that Orlando is playing at home, what are some of the specifics that justify Lakers -1. Does the fact that Kobe scored 62 points in 3 quarters last game have any (negative?) effect at all?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Lakers -1 at Orlando

The Magic can only lose so many straight games at home...they've suffered embarrassing home losses to Toronto and NJ (NJ playing 2nd of back-to-back) in their last two...

Lakers are in a possible letdown situation (after Kobe's 62) AND a possible looking ahead situation (to Shaq and the Heat Sunday). Plus they will be adjusting to eastern time on this the first game of their road trip.

That said, I don't like Orlando that much just getting 1.5 or 2, not w/ how they played Wednesday. They don't have anyone who can check Kobe (not that many teams do). I'm on them small.

You do seem to be right in that the books look like they're taking a stand here, which could be telling.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Lakers -1 at Orlando

I think the lakers are solid on this play...but i promised myself i will stay away from basketball until march madness and nba playoffs.