Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Another loose....no word can describe these loose players!

UTG just came to the table, no reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

I'm thinking, "What can this guy possibly be calling down that he wouldn't bet or raise if he had something and why isn't he folding if I'm showing strength?"

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font>
Old 12-19-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Another loose....no word can describe these loose players!

I dont really see much value in your river bet. Guys will often call down with their weak aces or jacks. Just check behind.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont really see much value in your river bet. Guys will often call down with their weak aces or jacks. Just check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I believe I have the best hand, shouldn't I continue betting? What about if I bet to make sure he doesn't get a free showdown? Maybe he'll fold after a river bet?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I believe I have the best hand, shouldn't I continue betting? What about if I bet to make sure he doesn't get a free showdown? Maybe he'll fold after a river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he folds to a river bet, it is with a worse hand, so betting and checking have the same result. You don't bet just because you have the best hand. You bet because he will call with a worse hand. Giving him a free showdown doesn't matter he has a worse hand that would of folded.

Edit: furthermore, he has you beat often, so you are costing yourself money here. He will call with a lot of better hands that he wont bet with.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Giving him a free showdown doesn't matter he has a worse hand that would of folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

and if he is going to call anyways because he THINKS he has the best hand or that I'm bluffing with nothing?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:11 AM

I just check through here, this board is scary for a lower pocket and draw friendly, which are folding or check-raising.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Giving him a free showdown doesn't matter he has a worse hand that would of folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

and if he is going to call anyways because he THINKS he has the best hand or that I'm bluffing with nothing?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really think he'll call with a losing hand then go for the river bet.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 AM

does everyone bet 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 on this turn?

in other words, my first instinct was to check te turn here, and then i read the rest of the posts and no one suggested this. so i propose a slightly more marginal hand to see if i can find "the line."
Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I believe I have the best hand, shouldn't I continue betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two Broadway overcards on the flop, the flush draw comes in on the turn and the river (another Broadway overcard, by the way) completes the most likely straight draws. Sure, keep betting if you think you have the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
What about if I bet to make sure he doesn't get a free showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to make sure worse hands don't get free showdowns. Why would you think he has a worse hand than you? Because he didn't bet? Plenty of people call down with A2, any Jack, pocket Queens, etc on this board.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he'll fold after a river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if he has you beat.

SpaceAce