Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 PM

Default JJ in the SB -- you\'ll hate this line

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero folds, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (14 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 14 BB
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: JJ in the SB

Um...you forgot to raise preflop. And failing that, on the flop. And folding was just terrible. Is this a joke?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 PM

You might want to explain your thought process to us.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 AM

I would comment that I'd played every street differently but it's sort of an odd comment as you didn't even play the last two...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:03 AM

First, I'm a NL player.

The reason for the call rather than 3-bet. I don't beleive I'm getting any pocket pairs, any small suited connectors in this hand.

I do not want to price myself in for the rest of this hand against 5 opponents. If an A,K,Q falls on the flop w/o a Jack I think I can safely assume my hand may as well be Jack high.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, I'm a NL player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok, we didn't know. Not that we'll be any nicer.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the call rather than 3-bet. I don't beleive I'm getting any pocket pairs, any small suited connectors in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you have a better hand than them that will win more often, and you earn value on every bet that goes into the pot. Suited connectors and low pp's in this case are behind you. The only way they make money is from implied odds. The more they have to put in preflop, the more they have to make up postflop and the less profitable their play will be. This means you gain.

[ QUOTE ]
I do not want to price myself in for the rest of this hand against 5 opponents. If an A,K,Q falls on the flop w/o a Jack I think I can safely assume my hand may as well be Jack high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak-tight thinking. I am not loving those cards, esp an A, against this crowd, but by no means are you automatically beat on say a Q high board. Furthermore, you will flop an overpair a subtantial portion of the time (half?). And sometimes overs will fall with a J. Anyway, you're putting in 1/6th of the money for a hand that will win well over 1/6th of the time (maybe 45/50%?). Huge profit there, don't pass up on it. All those times your opponents miss the flop, you gain bigtime. And that will be often.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 AM

I think you might need to learn a little about limit poker.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, I'm a NL player.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you never fold an overpair in a limit game, you'll do alright.

For this hand...the only reason not to 3-bet preflop is if you're planning to check/raise a safe flop. You couldn't have asked for a safer flop, short of XJJ. But anyway, you should 3-bet preflop--not so much to shorten the field (although that'd be nice), but for value. The odds are very good that you have the best hand at that point in time, and if people want to call 2 more bets with smaller pocket pairs or suited connectors or crap aces, that's just even better for you.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:14 AM

I would suggest going to the micros for a while. It is obvious that at this point you do not grasp some of the fundamentals of limit holdem. Go back to basics, because playing like this is definietly
-EV
Old 12-08-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: JJ in the SB -- you\'ll hate this line

I think you are suffering quite heavily from your No Limit Legacy.

In limit hold'em, many of the factors that dominate decisions in no limit (controlling the size of the pot, not compromising your stack on mediocre hands, and so on) are not in play. Limit is about pushing often small edges in equity, and often those edges require risking a lot of bets in situations you'll lose a reasonable amount of the time.

Not reraising out of the small blind may be standard in no limit for those sorts of reasons. It's not in limit. We three-bet JJ out of the blinds usually.