Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Laying down aces.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.00 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG folds.

SB is uber tight for 6-max, 12% VPIP - similar to his full ring VPIP. He's also very passive.

Turn: (6.00 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.00 BB.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Laying down aces.

You have him beat more than 20% of the time.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:29 AM

Getting check-raised by a rock is OK to call down with an overpair?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 AM

are you saying the only hand he c/r you with here are better than a pair? AsJx screams out to me immediatly.

i fold this like never.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM

Bad laydown. At the very least call down. As passive as he is he still probably has an overpair or a random hand at least 20% of the time.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:39 AM

Call down. Don't make a habit of folding overpairs HU in SH games, regardless of how scary the board is(it's nowhere near scary enough here. There are a number of worse 1 pair + fd combo hands that he could be raising, and if he has 2 pair you have alot of outs.)

Surf
Old 08-17-2005, 10:51 AM

I dont like this lay down,ok you have a good read on the guy, very tight passive but isnt there a chance he could have QQ or KK even AJ,
you have to call down
Old 08-17-2005, 12:35 PM

Looks fine considering the uber passive read.

Edit: Eh, read some responses and relooked at the pot size. You're getting 5:1 effective odds to call this down. Against many passive players this is the fold to make. For that it really comes down to your read. Is he the type to only raise straights+? If you can't answer yes fairly confidently then I'd call down because of the lower 2pair that you can outdraw or single J combos.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:09 PM

There are a couple of line's you could take on this, and folding is the worst in in my opinion. What hands is a TP going to call a raise out of the small blind with? AJ KJ come to mind and there is a good chance that he is putting you on AK AQ and is rasing to protect his hand. I would probably 3 bet and fold to a cap but this may not be the best option. Calling the turn raise and then raising him on the river when no J or spade falls is probably a better line IMO.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:02 PM

What's up Sean? Haven't seen you since I was playing at Prima.

Guess it was a bad laydown, but I remember telling myself "He called a raise in the small blind, and called again on the flop. If he check-raises me here, I'm going to fold."

Having committed myself to a plan of action, I felt compelled to go through with it.