Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Getting Aggro.

One of my problems has been weak-tight play, which I've been trying to fix by looking for spots to become more aggressive.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 is slightly weak-tight.
Button is slightly loose (33), very aggressive pre-flop and fairly aggressive post-flop, but it's only 27 hands, so he might be TAG, he might be LAG... but definately an aggressive player.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

What's my line if button caps the flop?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Getting Aggro.

Why did you 3-bet flop, what would he raise with on this flop? You dont have much of a sample size on him to be making this play. You may be drawing dead to a 5. i dont get it.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:35 PM

I don't like your flop reraise at all. I'd just call and see if the turn improves me (which kinda did).
Old 07-28-2005, 02:27 PM

stop the action before the turn please, now all i can think is "he's going to fold the turn, raise him" [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 02:45 PM

If Button caps the flop, I think you need to call and fold the turn unimproved.

This play looks a little reckless, I think a ton of the time you will get a scared Q call you down or the 5 capping. What probably happened here was the button had a smallish to mid-pocket pair, and decided you didn't have a five, but wanted to gamble that you didn't have a queen. When you popped him again, he decided you did have a Q and folded the turn unimproved (as I think you would have had to do had he capped the flop.) Either that, or he's very reckless himself. It worked, but this play can easily backfire, especially if you are out of position for the entire hand, and end up bluff-betting into the best hand.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:45 PM

I don't think it matters much if he caps the flop or not.
Either way he usually has a Q and I don't see him folding the turn very often unless the turn card matches one of your big cards. In other words I hate the 3-bet.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:51 PM

Here's what I was thinking in the hand:

Folding is out, my hand is too good... UTG+2 will probably fold to a 3-bet... Button is very aggressive pre-flop, and would probably have re-raised with a big pair, AQ or KQ... plus he's not that loose, so I doubt he'd cold-call with a bad queen or a suited connector with a 5. He might call with A5s, though. He's also probably not TAG, because of the cold-call. TAGs generally fold or raise facing two bets pre-flop. Since I've ruled out TAG, then he's probably LAG, and has some of the pot-stealing/bluffing tendancies. A skilled LAG might use the button to gain information on the flop, or to force a weak-tighty to give him a free card.

OK, so I didn't think all of that on the flop, but mostly felt that there was a good chance that button had a weak hand on this ragged board, and that UTG+2 would fold to a 3-bet.

I put button on a small pocket pair or a suited ace, but not garbage since he's not terribly loose.

The turn gives me a gutshot and rules out a backdoor flush for button, and puts another overcard to a smaller pair. Given the 3-bet, leading out here seems best.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:30 PM

Whoa... I don't like that 3-bet but getting UTG+2 out is definitely good. I think it's very possible that Button is raising you with a Q here, but AK isn't too shabby, especially given the turn improvement. I dunno, I'm really undecided. Heads up vs. Button I wanna see a showdown, but getting UTG+2 out is good (weak-tight? was he holding a PP or something do you think?)
Old 07-28-2005, 04:24 PM

The last couple of times that UTG+2 showed down against me, he lost. Probably figured he was beat regardless of the cards.

3-bet was pretty loose, I guess. I didn't want to give control over to the button. I still like my line... occasionally.