Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Matsui Decal WSOP Replics

I have been in contact with matsui about making a decal chip (bud jones style) to replicate the WSOP chips. I have recieved artwork from matsui. The artwork is below. The molds are not binding. I was looking to see if there is interest in these chips, and to see if anybody would like to get a group buy going. The Bud Jones molds CANNOT be used in this buy. We are limited to the matsui molds. The ones I have chosen go best with the chips. The inlay is from the chipco group buy and is only a representation of what the chip may look like. I am not using their inlay (for copyright and trademark uses). These chips will be tweaked, this is the first in many steps. A price has not been discussed yet. I will get prices from Matsui on Monday. Do you think we should go with seprate molds for each chip? One mold? Some feedback would be great!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Matsui Decal WSOP Replics

First of all, switch the molds between the 100 and 5k. They changed that this year to make black 100 like it is everywhere else.

Also, do something with the edgespots on either the 1k or 5k. Stacks of 1k's and 5k (or 100 if you switch it)'s next to each other will look identical because of the six-spot configuration and same black and yellow colors. I'd recommend changing one of these chips to either an eight-spot mold if they have one, or the black chip's edgespots to red.

EDIT: Also, the CI mintmark needs to be changed. Nevada recently passed a law saying that all chips must have a mintmark. CI is Chipco. I'd change it to MS or MA or whatever Matsui uses... having them mintmark their chips with a Chipco mark is horridly poor form and insulting as hell.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:45 AM

If you read my post, I just used the inlay from the chipco group buy. The colors will be changed to represent the 2005 chips, and the inlay will also be changed to match the 2005 chips. These were just made to see how much interest there is
Old 07-16-2005, 01:57 PM

those are ugly
Old 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM

I'm not a big Bud Jones fan but I think those look pretty cool, though I wish someone would do a variation on the theme and instead of having them look exactly like the WSOP chips, use that as a base design idea to do something new.

One of my problems with the WSOP chips is there's too much similarity in color (3 basically pink chips, 2 basically yellow, etc.) The 100, 500, 1000 are too close in scheme and the 100 and 5000 are pretty close to being mirrored images of each other (sure the 5000 is more mustard/orange but you get my point). I realize that color ups will reduce some of the problem but still there's a wider palate available why not use it?

The molds look great for that Bud Jones type of thing.

Just my $.02