Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Chip labels

Okay, I'm prepared to get completely flamed on this...

I've seen a bunch of mentions of chip labels.
Are we talking about printing a bunch of round labels on a home printer and sticking them, one-by-one, on the chips?

Or is there some process that I'm missing?

This seems like a major hassle!

I'm putting on my fire-resistant suit now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Chip labels

"Are we talking about printing a bunch of round labels on a home printer and sticking them, one-by-one, on the chips?

Or is there some process that I'm missing?

This seems like a major hassle!"

I'm SO tempted to take a shot at this. I'll be nice and limit myself to "It's magically delicious!"

What other process did you think was possible, other than having the chip seller do it for you?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:38 PM

It IS a major hassle...I've done it twice, 1000 chips each time. But for the price to have some custom chips it's not such a big deal. A few hours of labeling while you're watching the TV. If you're not artistically or PC inclined, there are guys out there that'll design and print your labels for a decent price saving you that hassle...
Old 07-15-2005, 03:31 PM

What kind of label stock do you use? It seems that most ink jet ink will run if it gets wet. Is this an issue, or do you use a color laser printer?

Also, how long would you guess it took you do apply the the labels on 1000 chips, and how many of them did you get on crooked?

By the way, I appreciate the straight answer.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Thanks for resisting the temptation!

I thought, maybe, you could send your artwork to a chip vendor and they would print and apply the labels. Kind of a pseudo-custom chip.

Wait a minute - maybe I'm onto a business idea...
Old 07-15-2005, 03:50 PM

you can get professional style laser printed labels for $50, i'll try find a link but i'm going through the same process. i haven't ordered my new chips yet, but i definately wanna customize my chips.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:27 PM

I just use a fine tip Sharpie and draw a tiny portrait on each one.
Hillary Duff = 5 cents
J Lo = 25 cents
Brad Pitt = $1
Will Smith = $5
Tom Katie Cruise = $10
Old 07-15-2005, 08:02 PM

The way I draw, these would all look the same. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of label stock do you use? It seems that most ink jet ink will run if it gets wet. Is this an issue, or do you use a color laser printer?

[/ QUOTE ]
I used these labels (1" round labels) and my inkjet. Spray the labels with some clear coat (Krylon or something else, you can ask at the paint/craft store and they'll help) so they'll stay (relatively) dry and clean during use.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how long would you guess it took you do apply the the labels on 1000 chips, and how many of them did you get on crooked?

[/ QUOTE ]
I did 1400 labels and it took me maybe three nights while having the NBA Finals on for some background noise. That's all the NBA is good for anyway. They come off pretty easily if you get them on crooked as long as you haven't pressed them on really hard. I got them all on straight (I'm a nit [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Like someone mentioned, there are some people that print labels for you. I tried this, but one sounded really shady and wanted to send me a bill before I ever saw any artwork and the other one I contacted never got back to me. Oh well.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:15 PM

Okay, I'm sorry to be so dense...
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used these labels (1" round labels) and my inkjet. Spray the labels with some clear coat (Krylon or something else, you can ask at the paint/craft store and they'll help) so they'll stay (relatively) dry and clean during use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you spray the sheets, or the finished chips?

By the way, thanks for the link to the label vendor.