Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Good laydown or fishy SDM? (hand)

Page 127 of my copy.

As Simon indicated, I pay this one off about every time, and I am very much in the habit of paying off open four-flushes with two pair with two pair. Most of you are aware that if you start with four to a flush, absent any other information, you will make your hand around 47% of the time. This means that you will miss more often than you will make it. By the same token, if your opponent plays random cards, if he has an open four-flush, the odds are that he won't make it. Of course, few opponents play random cards, but when you consider your opponent's possible hands and the money in the pot, you usually should call down with a decent hand.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:56 PM

I don't know how, but there will be a foxwoods day before the end of 2005. I will bust you up at 1-3, CJ. Maybe we should do an hour of 1-3 stud, an hour of 10-20 stud, an hour of 1-2 n/l he, and an hour of 5-10 he.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:06 PM

Thanks!

I read that book all the time and I didn't quite remember that point.

They are talking about an Ace high gutshot. When I read his post my response was an automatic FOLD.

SDM has the same thing but only after drawing a couple cards.

Thank you for the clarification. It was helpful.

Lion out.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 PM

I am game for any of what you mentioned..

Let the $1-3 challenge commence. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

See ya soon Bud,

Later,
CJ
Old 10-12-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I kind of like the call on 4th, providing you were going to fold without improving on 5th. I can't really see why it's a big mistake to call a small bet with a gutshot if its OK to call a big bet on 5th when you're open-ended. 7CSFAP suggests you should play a broadway gutshot all the way to the river, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ya, now I see why you made that other post. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Like I said in my response to that post, one thing to look out for is if you might be up against a flush draw. This could easily be the case here. In fact, this hand shows perfectly why taking one off with a gut shot against a possible 4-flush is a bad idea.
Also, this pot was relatively small, there was a dead 9 and pairing the queen or jack might just get you in more trouble if seat 4s bet meant he made kings. All in all, easy fold imo.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't beat Party 2-4, which I play all the time, you are not a very good stud player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a true statement. Obviously.

***But***

As you should know, these things can take a very long time to work themselves out. I lost for the past two months, and just made it all back in the past week. Crap happens, and you know that.

What we can do is evaluate SDM qualititatively and say that some of his posts are looking rather sketchy. That is, his posts would seem rather routine to some, and he is missing the ball somewhere.

BTW, I don't see the need for you to insult someone and tell them they're no good. Why can't you just encourage them to fill in the holes, etc..? Why does it have to turn around to how you crush the game? When a guy makes a post, he is looking for help, not giving you an oppurtunity to brag about your win rate.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:17 PM

I sincerely apologize if it seems I'm bragging. I know when I first posted in this forum, I got some tough love from CJC, Pat DiCaprio and a few others who don't post here. And it helped my game. In this post, I felt others had addressed the specifics of a pretty simple hand. I wanted to make the point that the reason he's losing at 2-4 on Party isn't because it's a den of tough pros (I remember thinking that about the 1-3 no ante stud games at Foxwoods when I started). These are really soft games, and it's important to understand that. I posted something similar to lstream awhile back. Not due to that, he decided to take a look back through his hands, reviewed his play harshly and is now playing 5-10, I believe. Variance is another matter -- it hits us all. I'm also kind of an oddball, in that I play poker largely for relaxation, so I normally play way below the stakes I could based on either bankroll or skill. That may at times make me prone to forget how hard low stakes game can be for newer players.