Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: The sports guys latest cowbell

[ QUOTE ]
This is typical jealous sports fan crap, by the way. When you can't criticize your rival's play, take shots at their style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I did criticize his play. I said when the going gets tough, he folds like an accordian.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, keep crying Nancy, because the "loser" Manning just crushed your pretty boy QB and your Emporer Has No Clothes coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean our Emporer Has No Defensive Backs coach.

Congratulations on your stirring win over a collection of DB's who were working at Taco Bell last month. Your boy Peyton really stood tall. You must be very proud.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is typical jealous sports fan crap, by the way. When you can't criticize your rival's play, take shots at their style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I did criticize his play. I said when the going gets tough, he folds like an accordian.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, keep crying Nancy, because the "loser" Manning just crushed your pretty boy QB and your Emporer Has No Clothes coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean our Emporer Has No Defensive Backs coach.

Congratulations on your stirring win over a collection of DB's who were working at Taco Bell last month. Your boy Peyton really stood tall. You must be very proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, the Pats had the same starting CBs in this game as they did in the AFC Championship game. Or is Rodney Harrison worth 37 points?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:02 AM

I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but to say that Brady is a product of coaching because Quinn has had a nice season in college is pretty retarded. He doesn't have the best OL, his WR core while deep is not spectacular, and 2 of the SB's they won were with Antowain Smith as the starting RB.
The team was 5-11 with those same coaches and same OL in 2000 with Drew 'choke' Bledsoe running the show.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but to say that Brady is a product of coaching because Quinn has had a nice season in college is pretty retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you watched ND play this year? They look like the 03-04 Pats. Weis took a QB who literally looked like he was crapping his pants in his first two years, and turned him into a legit Heisman candidate. Here is the first thing Weis said to Brady Quinn on the practice field: "Don't think; I'll do the thinking. Just go out and run the plays." The same way of doing things that led to Tom Brady's success is now leading to Brady Quinn's success, and now that Weis is gone the Pats are not as good on offense. How is this not relevant to Tom Brady's ultimate worth as a quarterback?

Yes, I was stirring the pot a little bit with my earlier post. But anyone who isn't scratching their head about Belichick and Brady this year is not thinking critically.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
From last week's SI:

Wins after trailing in the 4th quarter:

Manning--19
Brady--10

4th Quarter comeback wins as a percentage of career starts:

Manning--16.0%
Brady--15.0%

Nice argument you've got there.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but to say that Brady is a product of coaching because Quinn has had a nice season in college is pretty retarded. He doesn't have the best OL, his WR core while deep is not spectacular, and 2 of the SB's they won were with Antowain Smith as the starting RB.
The team was 5-11 with those same coaches and same OL in 2000 with Drew 'choke' Bledsoe running the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drew Bledsoe is 5-3
Tom Brady is 4-4

If you want to give QBs all the credit when a team wins (which is completely wrong--Tom Brady is a rich man's Roethlisberger), you have to give them all the blame when they lose.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:34 AM

Your post would be insightful if it wasn't for the fact that Brady's having his best year.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post would be insightful if it wasn't for the fact that Brady's having his best year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fantasy-wise, yes, but I doubt the man himself would agree with your assessment.

One of the things I always admired about the Pats offense (and admire about ND's offense now) was their ability to find the open man on third down. Their third down conversion percentage has fallen significantly, from 45.1% last year to 35.6% this year. Sure, some of this can be attributed to the worsened running game, but he just hasn't been as big in the big moments.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
From last week's SI:

Wins after trailing in the 4th quarter:

Manning--19
Brady--10

4th Quarter comeback wins as a percentage of career starts:

Manning--16.0%
Brady--15.0%

Nice argument you've got there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?

You do know that Brady goes seasons at a time without ever trailing in the 4th quarter, right? And for that, you're going to knock him for not having any comebacks???

To borrow a phrase, "Nice argument you've got there."
Old 11-11-2005, 04:41 PM

You said:

[ QUOTE ]
The same way of doing things that led to Tom Brady's success is now leading to Brady Quinn's success, and now that Weis is gone the Pats are not as good on offense. How is this not relevant to Tom Brady's ultimate worth as a quarterback?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see:

1) New England is not that much worse on offense than they were last year. However, much of their drop on offense can be attributed to

a) their lack of Matt Light
b) Corey Dillon sucking/missing time.
c) their touch schedule.

2) Tom Brady is having an even better year, production-wise, than he did last year. In fact, the Pats passing game is second to only *drumroll* Indy. This despite a below average running game (last year, they had a top 5 running game).

Where New England has fallen drastically is DEFENSE. NE went from a top ten defense to a bottom five defense. This has zero to do with Charlie Weis and everything to do with: Romeo Crenell, Rodney Harrison, Tedy Bruschi, and Richard Seymour.