Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Short stack calling 2 all-ins with TT?

$65 Paris 9:30am tournament and we're down to 6 players. Top 3 get paid and the blinds are at T400, going to T800 in 5 minutes. Short-stacked 2nd position goes all-in for T2000. Small blind has about T10-12K and calls the all-in. In the big blind, I have 2400 and have pocket tens. There is one other big stack, a medium stack of about T4-6K, and one short stack less than T2000. What to do, all-in or fold, with these generic facts? I'll have some an orbit before getting hit with the 800 blind, but I need a spot to shove soon.

My read on the first all-in was that he had small pocket pairs. He had called with big hands earlier and made a small raise with AK. He did not look like he wanted a call and was somewhat deflated when the small blind called.

Small blind was a good player. No solid read but I felt his range here was pretty wide. I was thinking almost any suited Ax or 2 face cards on up. If I trust my reads, what's the play? Is my range on the small blind too big or small?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Short stack calling 2 all-ins with TT?

I personally would go allin with this without even thinking. Tens are a big hand 6 handed and you only have 6BB soon to be 2-3BB after the blind increase. If you trust your reads you would have to dodge 8 cards out of the deck (the short stacks small pp for the set: 2 cards, the other guys overs: 6 cards at the most). Of course you could be way behind but at this point with that little of chips and only 6 handed that is a risk I'm willing to take. Even if your reads are bad I would still be shoving my chips in the middle because I doubt you're going to find a better postition than this. You could be in better position than you think also with both players have in Ax or both smaller pp's.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Short stack calling 2 all-ins with TT?

Thanks for the response.

It didn't feel like a no-brainer at the time, but getting 2-1 on my money and really only hating bigger pocket pairs, I was all-in. Friends were split over the right play since I was so close to the money. Other short stack had 8s, which I loved, but the small blind rolled over AA for the third time in the tournament.