Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 09:11 AM

Default Bad call? i think so...

Party $25 NL 6 Handed.
Table is passive-loose pre-flop with the exeption of the Villain who is a bit of an unknown but so far has been extremely aggressive (pushing his stack on the last 3 hands he played on the flop with no one calling him down and raising preflop everytime he played.)

I'm on the button with AJs(spades).
UTG Folds.
Villain Raises to 1.00
CO calls, I raise to 3.00
Folded to Villain who calls as does CO.

Flop is T86 rainbow. (one spade)
Villain pushes his stack (about $50)
CO Folds.
I have $28 and decide I think he's on a bluff - so i call with overcards.
In retrospect I think this is a horrible time to make a stand and call here. I have 0 folding equity - even if he has pocket 2's I'm behind here. Just a bad bad play.

So of course the Ace comes on the turn and I take it down.

CO says "great call" and I say "no actually it was terrible, but I'll take it" (Normally I don't chat at all and probably shouldn't comment on anyone's play even my own.)
Which sets villain off into a tirade on how I suck etc. etc. All I tell him is don't let it tilt ya.

(Next hand he went all in again on the flop - this time (when I had a much better reason to call - overcards and 4 to the flush and covering his stack... with a possible 2nd caller) I fold.

Yeah I'm a newbie to no-limit.

Go ahead trash me.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Bad call? i think so...

Yea it was a bad call for sure. So there was about $10 in the pot preflop, he sets you in for $28 more making your odds 38:28 or roughly 4:3 pot odds. All you can beat is a bluff at this point, chances are w/ his preflop raise and call he has some kind of pair, giving you 6 outs. If he has an overpair you have 3 outs, making your call even worse.

PG
Old 12-03-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Bad call? i think so...

I pretty much knew this - but I guess the second hand here was the more interesting one...

Same game next hand.
I get KQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]in CO. UTG calls (Villain from last hand), UTG+1 folds, I raise to $2, Button cold calls, folded to villain (who is still spouting about the last bad beat) who calls.

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain pushes all in (aprox $22)

I hesitate and fold, button called (short of villain's stack by about $2)
Turn is a spade (ten I think), river a red facecard.

I folded because I wasn't getting ~4-1 on my bet (is that right?) And there was no one to pay me off anymore if I hit. Additionally I had no idea if button would call or not.

This was the correct play - right? Is it 4-1 or more like 3-1 to call for a flush draw and 2 to come?

Villain showed 88 for the flopped set, and the button showed A8o (no spades) for TPTK on flop.

Thanks again.