Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Results

I had J10 with the J of spades. I thought for a bit on the river and then checked behind. Usually I would bet here, but given that I knew the SB knew how aggresive I was I feared the cr more than I normally do (or him check calling with a small flush). He flipped over KJo no spades. I probably over compensated and should have bet.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Results

What does everybody think of the villian's flat call with KJo after that flop? I think it's poor giving the 2 players to act behind him. Maybe he was hoping the other 2 players would see it as a call with a strong hand, but I don't know. I think I'm raising there to define my hand even more. If I have a big stack like he does, I'd pay the extra chips to find out I'm beaten before I get in any more trouble.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does everybody think of the villian's flat call with KJo after that flop? I think it's poor giving the 2 players to act behind him. Maybe he was hoping the other 2 players would see it as a call with a strong hand, but I don't know. I think I'm raising there to define my hand even more. If I have a big stack like he does, I'd pay the extra chips to find out I'm beaten before I get in any more trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

KJ surprises me, but the call may ahve been the sort of "the sequence of this surprises me, I may have the best hand at the moment" kind of calls, then he made a feeler bet on the turn. If MLG was not as aggressive a player as he is, Villain is likely to chuck KJ.

Having said that, I still don't think it was a bad check behind. Not only is Villain unlikely to call a bet on the river with a hand that is behind you, you get one more piece of information about Villain when you can see his hand. Showing this hand isn't bad for you, it's solid advertisement - look fellas, I have the hands, so just fold in the future.

I think it was reasonably played by both parties, although I'm quite surprised that villain had as bad a hand as KJo.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Ranging Far and Wide

BB Could have a ten or flush that hit on the turn, small chance of a bluff on the turn.
You should Call with a A-QsTx, boat. Raise T + flush Fold Kx where X is not a A-Qs. Kxs where X Q-As is tough, I would prolly call.

River: Bet the Ts, boat check behind with your kings

How did I do?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably over compensated and should have bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he calls with KJ there, though you might have missed some value from worse tens.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably over compensated and should have bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he calls with KJ there, though you might have missed some value from worse tens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting hand.

The JT was my cut-off hand for value-bet vs. no value bet, and KJ was about as low as I thought he would possibly go to call a smallish river bet.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 AM

Pre-flop his range is huge (basically any two) as he is calling just a min raise into a multiway pot.

On the flop things get interesting. It checks around. Now he knows that your betting here more often than not. So if he has a K or a 10 in his hand he is surely going to check call here. I would expect him though to re-raise any K except AK. He also though could be check calling thinking he could take it off of you on the turn if you have nothing and it seems like he has some piece.

The turn bet seems really weak to me. That could easily be on purpose though. So at this point, in my mind, he has a good hand or air. AK, any 10, or a flush. Or absolute crap. I would say 50/50.

So on the river, I'm betting if I have a K, 10 or flush and if I don't I'm just checking behind. There is a coinflip chance here that he will c-raise his good hand here and will fold his garbage. So if I'm halfway I want to hedge my bet a bit.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

An interesting question would be if you could fold a small flush to a CR. Probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

villain only has a pot-sized bet left on the river. if you get c/r'ed with a small flush, i think there's enough chance of Tx thinking he's c/r'ing for value that you have to call. you're going to be getting great odds if you make anything more than a minbet (which you're obviously not going to do).
Old 11-14-2005, 01:41 PM

AK with the A of spades?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:35 PM

I think a "value" bet on the River would have to be pretty small to get him to call as he should respect your turn call.