Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Why did Jesus die for us?

I know, I know....to forgive our sins so that we could someday join him in heaven. But why? Why was it necessary for the son of God to die to achieve this?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Why did Jesus die for us?

He was executed for being a terrorist. Justify it whichever way makes you feel happiest.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 PM

Christians will tell you how it shows God's sacrifice for our sins, yadda yadda yadda. But does any Christians ever think this: What was the huge sacrifice that Jesus really made? He died painfully on a cross? Okay, as did many others through history. But those others didn't know they were going to rise from the dead and rule in heaven for all eternity. So, what was the big deal? I mean THINK about it. You are Jesus. You know that you are the Son of God and just inhabiting an earthly form. You know the time on earth is nothing because you come from Heaven and are going back to Heaven. Why should a few hours of pain mean anything to you? It's like you have everything you could ever want, and yet have to put it aside for a few minutes and go native, then have everything again. Wow, what a sacrifice. Even simple things like these questions show the absurdity of the "faith".
Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 PM

It's a symbolic gesture. God, who is proud and mighty, debased himself and suffered terrible pain for a while to show mankind he had forgiven them.

For eating the apple...lmao.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a symbolic gesture. God, who is proud and mighty, debased himself and suffered terrible pain for a while to show mankind he had forgiven them.

For eating the apple...lmao.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaningless gestures of false humility give me more reason not to worship this "god" even if he exists.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:44 PM

Any thoughts from the more religious members?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christians will tell you how it shows God's sacrifice for our sins, yadda yadda yadda. But does any Christians ever think this: What was the huge sacrifice that Jesus really made? He died painfully on a cross? Okay, as did many others through history. But those others didn't know they were going to rise from the dead and rule in heaven for all eternity. So, what was the big deal? I mean THINK about it. You are Jesus. You know that you are the Son of God and just inhabiting an earthly form. You know the time on earth is nothing because you come from Heaven and are going back to Heaven. Why should a few hours of pain mean anything to you? It's like you have everything you could ever want, and yet have to put it aside for a few minutes and go native, then have everything again. Wow, what a sacrifice. Even simple things like these questions show the absurdity of the "faith".

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I would never read an essay on theology written by you because it is clear you have not researched Christianity in the slightest, specifically the historically debated nature of Christ. (ie- the question of duality of nature or not)

Secondly, to understand Jesus' death properly and why it happened that way one must understand alot of Jewish law after the 'fall' of mankind (the "apple" for you noobs) and this is in the Torah. (which is complex)

Jesus' death is supposed to be very symbolic and tied into many things throughout Jewish history (such as Abraham and the near sacrifce of Isaac etc) and stand as hope and example for future humans about living a life that pleases God, until said God decides to end this experiment/game/show/"life".

An example, from the begining of YHWH worship, a sacrifice must have been special and worthy. (Cain and Abel - Many examples in Genesis and rest of Torah about 'good quality flock to be sacrificed' etc)

Christ is supposed to be the 'unspotted' lamb/good quality sacrifice, which is why he had to lead a life from a 'pure' perspective.

In the Book of Revelations, Christ is called the 'Alpha and Omega' and in many ways this book seeks to tie up "the story" by giving prologue to Genesis, and epilogue to the gospels/paul's writings etc.

But anyway, this issue is so complex that a post on an internet forum from a hungover person cannot do it justice.

Therefore if you only take one thing from this post, take this:

If you want to hold a certain belief, fine, but you should do the research before hold any belief, and you should research greatly if you wish to be dogmatic about it.

Seldom are things in life simple. The greater the weight something has or professes to have generally means the more complicated it is likely to be.

Just starting with the issue of a God, you are opening a whole pandora's box of complexity that will never result in a definite answer because of our mortal restrictions, let alone an easy one.

If you believe otherwise, then that is the only absurd belief here my friend.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:05 PM

Jesus died on the cross in order to fulfill the atonement, the only way he could show mankind that there is life after death was to die and be resurected.
Furthermore the cross was originally constructed in a T, the verticle represents the life know here on Earth, the verticle represents the everlasting life.
Also when he rode into town on an ass, this represented that HE had overcome the lower self or the Ego.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But anyway, this issue is so complex that a post on an internet forum from a hungover person cannot do it justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. Of course, I don't really even drink, but it exemplifies how Christians think.

And I've read the New Testament. I was very religious until the age of 16. I would bet I have read far more about Christianity than you have read about anything which disputed it.

Beware the man of one book.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:33 PM

What ELSE have you read? Christian perspective is not the be all end all of religious thought.
I too have given up on the dogma of 'religion' yet I still find the need to feed my soul.
I am spiritual not religious.