Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 09:26 PM

Default SNG\'s to build a bankroll

Ok, so I have no money. By "no money," I mean my bankroll is about $100 to $150 right now. I've tried to start building it on partypoker but the games are too big...the smallest they have is .50/1, so i'll have a good week and then lose two straight days at $25 a pop and lose 1/4 of my bankroll...while on PP, i've noticed that I've had a much better winning percentage in terms of $/hr if i play 4 $5 SNG's at once. Has this plan been tried by anyone? Sound results? What are your thoughts on this method to build my bankroll? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: SNG\'s to build a bankroll

I think most everyone will agree that the best way to build your bankroll is to play the type of game at which you're best.

Are you a good SNG player? If so, then play SNGs to build your bankroll. With $150, you should be fine to play the $5s anywhere. I personally don't like the starting chips at Party, as I prefer the room to maneuver early with a larger stack.

Have you considered other sites?

Also, from what I understand, SNGs have pretty low variance compared to other forms of the game. That's definitely something to consider when your bankroll is small.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:31 PM

go to real money
beginners
micro

these are really small stakes games
Old 11-06-2005, 09:34 PM

I did the exact same thing as you... bought in for a hundred and started at the 5's a little under bankrolled but for god sakes who cant beat the 5's. I then preceded to move up in the limits using the 30 buyin rule and now im playing the 50's with a 4k br after just buying 2 $500 monitors. It only took me about 4 months of playing a little every day to get their.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:37 PM

Transfer your BR to pokerstars and play the turbos. When your BR over >$200, 4table the $15+1. When it's <$200, play the $6+0.5.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 PM

I've done this a few times... First of all playing on party 5s isn't the best deal, other sites have 5+.50, if you play the 5+.50 you can play nine tournaments whereas with the 5+1 you can only play 8, so with only 50 bucks you have a little smaller risk of ruin with the lower buyin. I normally play two 5 dollar tournaments at a time until I get up to $75, then I play two $10 tournaments, if I make $50 in those I 4 table the tens until I'm up to 15 buy-ins for the 20s ($330). If you ever drop below $50 start over. Far from optimal profit wise but it's fun turning a small amount of money into something sizeable.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 PM

I had some money in pokerstars for their MTT, and I tried to grind at like .25/.50, and i'd sit down with like $10, but i just can't do it. I can't play for two hours looking to make $5 in profit.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:39 PM

Ok......Why? Are they easily beatable?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:41 PM

Isn't that a lot to risk? How big should my bankroll be in terms of tourney buy-ins?

I've heard that for limit cash you should have 300-500 BB in your bankroll, so like if you're playing 2/4 you should have $1200-$2000 in your bankroll...is that the same for SNG's? shouldn't i have like 50-60 buy-in's? or I am being too conservative on this issue?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:51 PM

The gerneral rule is between about 30 buy-ins for SnGs. I've heard 20, but lately everyone has been saying 30, which is a decent number. Gives you some room for a downswing if it happens and won't decimate your bankroll.