Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Flop big draw, get raised, plan ?

I'd push the flop here because you're probably the favorite and also as part of an overall game plan. I'd also push top set here so players know that they can't always correctly pass hands like a bottom and middle set.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:52 PM

That's not a big draw, that's an absolute monster draw.

+1 vote for push no matter what.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:12 AM

I'd like to make clear that I am more often pushing this flop than not. But my post above shows that there are some important things you need to think about including the types of players you are against and the types of hands they might have. And you would definitely rather be against a set here than another draw (although if you were the one with a pair and a great draw then that wouldn't be so).
Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Results, and thoughts

Ladies and gentlemen.

Clearly, I am not folding this hand in this spot, so the question I have is how do I *play* the hand.

When we get raised here, villain often has either
A. a set
B. top two (or if he is a muppet any two)
C. a big draw (cant be bigger than mine right ?)

Im nearly 50/50 with a set, and a small favourite over top two. Im a big favourite over a big draw (like QhTh7d8d). But my odds reduce if he has a draw and two pair (for example) ... if he has QhThJd9d - then Im 50/50 again.

Should I always shovel my chips in, when I am 50/50 here ... can I not try to shade the odds in my favour somehow? If I always gamble on 50/50 shots, then I never make any money really.

I decided to call, planning to push any non-pairing turn card. If he had a set, then the money was going in regardless, and if I made my draw on the turn, then he would have to call. If he did not have a set, then he would probably fold the turn, but very often, this bet is a set (depending on the player).

I called, the turn was T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I pushed and he folded.

This fold makes me question my reasoning .... he clearly does not have a set, because he would have to call this bet with a set. And he doesnt have a draw, because thats a good card for the draws, so he had to have two pair. Perhaps I let him off the hook.

Food for thought. Does this play work better when stacks are deeper?

Please explain all your reasons for pushing the flop.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Results, and thoughts

if you had considerably more money you could consider calling and getting away from the hand if the board pairs. with as little as you have left i think you just need to put it in and get it over with. while he will never fold much for 150 more if he did at this point it would be a great result and you cant be in bad shape. if you had another 1000 behind i would definetly call the flop with the intention of folding if it pairs but still having plenty of equity to call if it dosent pair but you miss.
in the situation you gave the money is just too short to mess around. there is always the chance the board could pair and your hand could still be live also and with the money this shallow im not going to put myself in that position.
matty