Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Value betting draws

If i have a nut flush draw on the flop in texas holdem and i have 3 opponents and i bet, is it for value or do i want them to fold? which is better? what about against four opponents, or two? If the draw comes in 35% of the time, i get value if 4 opponents call my flop bet, but i also loose money calling a bet on the turn if my flush doesn't come in. Can anyone clarify this concept for me?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Value betting draws

You gotta add in the dead money already in the pot too.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:24 PM

The way to look at it is: Your flush comes in by the river 35% of the time. If you are against four other players, each of you are contributing 20% to the pot (100% divided by 5 players). That means you are only paying for 20% of a pot that you can win 35% of the time. This is considered a huge edge and you should raise and reraise the pot because you are theoretically making money long-term with every dollar that goes in (even if you don't hit your flush this time). Also, with the NUT flush draw, you also have a chance to simply pair your ace and win the pot that way, so it makes you a huge stud at the flop.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:06 PM

If you won't be able to get everybody to fold by the river, then you want everybody to call to the showdown.

If you have more than 2 opponents, having everybody fold isn't very likely (depending on the opposition, of course).
Old 09-19-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You gotta add in the dead money already in the pot too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you don't. he's asking about value betting, not having odds to continue. value betting does not include the pot size as a primary factor; it is all about your equity and the number of opponents. Elke describes the concept well.

this link includes the best description I have ever seen