Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 PM

Default what do you do when the cards get cold

So you're playing in a two table tourney. The tables combine to one when you have your original stack + about 1/4 (being aproxamitely 2000, 6th place with a big jump to 5th) with the blinds now up to 200/400. With two calling stations and a couple weak passives plus some strong players, how do you deal with going card dead?
Bluffing doesnt work well because the c.s.'s will call down with anything.
Playing marginal hands strong is hard because while you get the C.S.'s money you end up against a w/p who could have anything.
Playing good hands doesn't work because you don't get any good hands.

Obviously you have enough chips to just wait it out and try to catch some cards and get involved or let some of the players bust out and change the game. The problem arises when the blinds raise again (300/600) and you are now down to about 14000. Do you go for the aggressive push and hope to double up (it will get called in at least one spot 95% of the time) or do you continue to wait it out?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: what do you do when the cards get cold

Be patient, and wait for an opportunity. 'Opportunity' being the key word. Don't just get frustrated and throw the chips in, if your gonna do the stone cold bluff thing at least do it against the right player in the right situation. Represent AA or KK against a known folder who was min raised from late position, that kinda stuff.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 PM

i always rub the cards against my hot irish nuts before looking at them. that takes care of being card dead for awhile.

seriously though, the thing that helps me the most (and i do this before becoming card dead), is find out who is not defending their blinds as often as they should. these are the players that will keep me afloat the most when i am card dead. secondly, pay attention to which players buckle under pressure in post flop situations. i will enter pots with these people whenever i get a chance, and try to get them to fold their hand. i also keep track of other players who i think are paying attention to the same things. if i sense they are making a move preflop on a weak blind defender, or trying to isolate a weak postflop player, lots of times, i can come over the top with any 2 cards and take the pot without seeing a flop.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:36 PM

Don't change anything on the basis of the cards being "cold" because there is no such thing - you're just as likely to get a good hand after a long cold streak as after a long hot streak. Further, that good hand could be more valuable if other players believe in the "cold" thing and have you pegged as cold, and thus think you are tilting. That said, there comes a point when your stack falls to some multiple of the blinds (I use 5-6 times BB+SB) when you have to push with a sub-optimal hand.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:05 PM

have patience and make good moves when you think others are weak.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:58 AM

If you have a bad hand and there's no chance to pick up the pot without a showdown, there's only one answer as to what you should do ...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Play the cards you're dealt.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Cry
Old 09-19-2005, 08:38 PM

Almost forgot... you could also throw them in the microwave