Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 02:08 PM

Default a little whine about my downswing

just been getting hammered the past week, hovering around 300BB's. i haven't had a downswing like this before in 5/10 before (a limit that i know i can beat. i've lost 300BB in 10/20 before). well over 100k hands.

whats the longest downswing you've experienced? this one is 18 hours of 7tabling which equals 14k hands. i am still playing well and not tilting (honestly. i really know when i tilt.)

krishan, i know you 7+ table, if you could give me some feedback on your downswings thatd be great too.

sorry for the LC
Old 10-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: a little whine about my downswing

[ QUOTE ]
(honestly. i really know when i tilt.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think a 300BB downswing affects your play, you have some other issues to be worrying about.

To answer your question, I have dropped 300BB in 2-3 days before, but that is about the most I have ever dropped before rebounding. That was playing a 5/10 10/20 mix. Whenever I am getting hammered bad I move down for a while to regain confidence and try to work thru my downswings at a cheaper limit.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Don't 7-table during a big downswing. I know the impetus is to 'play past the variance', but the creeping tilt (which you won't notice. honestly.) will fcuk with your basic decisions more than you think.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:46 PM

i haven't been tilting in terms of overaggression or loosening up greatly. maaaybe i'm valuebetting less on the river because i am always scared i'm getting rivered. i wouldn't call that tilt exactly. anyway that can't be more than a few BB, cause sometimes i am getting rivered anyway so it evens out a little.

i really don't feel i am tilting because i know i can beat the limit, i know i am getting horrible beats, and i know i'll snap out of it soon. 300 BB in 5/10 isn't that much real $ anyway, especially since 14k hands = tons of rakeback
Old 10-08-2005, 03:32 PM

I've had 2 450 BB downswings. The second one was after beating a limit for 150K hands. I've broke even for 56K hands.

I also know when to play less tables, when to move down, when to get coached. I also work really damn hard on my game.

Do the stuff in the what to do when you run bad thread.

Krishan
Old 10-08-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maaaybe i'm valuebetting less on the river because i am always scared i'm getting rivered.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're changing your play based on short-term results, many here would say you are tilting.

And 7 tables? Whafuck? I guess you just love that huge rakeback payment, but maybe try dropping your tables - by half - and see how that goes in terms of improving your play.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And 7 tables? Whafuck? I guess you just love that huge rakeback payment, but maybe try dropping your tables - by half - and see how that goes in terms of improving your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was on a pretty bad run when I was four-tabling and dropped it down to two and it had me on crazy tilt. I was used to playing a lot more hands and I got really impatient.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had 2 450 BB downswings. The second one was after beating a limit for 150K hands. I've broke even for 56K hands.

I also know when to play less tables, when to move down, when to get coached. I also work really damn hard on my game.

Do the stuff in the what to do when you run bad thread.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

56K breakeven. Thats prob a yr's worth of play for a live player.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:46 AM

you might just suck.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:48 AM

If you're 7-tabling, chances are you're not going to crush the game (2.0+BB/100). The lower your winrate, the more decent size downswings you're going to experience.

Also, if you're not doing well on a table from bad beats or whatever the other players probably notice it. Because of this you'll have to tighten up a hair since you're table image sucks and your opponents are more likely to take shots at you knowing you're off balance. Do less semi-bluffing and more value betting.