Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 01:54 PM

Default This is a support forum, isn\'t it?

My last two posts concerned some difficult hands in MTTs and asked for a little help with them to better my play. Tons of people look at them and don't bother to respond.

It does say MTT forum not 100 plus buy in MTT's. I am sorry that I have not achieved your grand status that I can play those yet. It is very frustrating when you get ignored when asking straight forward questions on here, and yet if it were a huge buy in tournament or I was playing someone famous then everyone is all to willing to put there two cents in.

I thought this was suppose to be a site where people help other people get better. I see the low level player continually getting shunned on this site and this forum. Maybe if some of you that have more knowledged shared it we could make some "Final Table Posts" and then you would respond.

I have made 2 final tables in large MTTs, and I would like to get back there by getting better. I have asked for help, and I thank people for their help. I am very appreciative of the time and effort that you take in responding to posts on here.

I would hate to think that this is just another good ole' boys club where if you aren't somebody nobody cares.

I have played in the weekly tourneys held for 2+2ers and you seem to be very nice and I have enjoyed those times, and the experience gained.

Just remember, you were young once, and learning, and now look at you, you are old in knowledge and there are people out there that could benefit from it. What a great feeling it is to help others.

I will probably get black balled now and no one will ever respond to my posts again, but please, don't ignore the low level player that is trying to get better, at least help them if you are not going to help me. That will be reward enough.

Thanks for you time to read this. No offense intended to anyone.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: This is a support forum, isn\'t it?

It is, but no one is forced to reply to your posts. Just take it easy, read a lot, don't give up on posting the hands you're in doubt about, and have fun.

Sometimes people will read your posts and they'll feel that there's nothing they can say to you. Sometimes your posts just aren't interesting. No one is getting paid to be a part of the forums, we all have a choice to respond to whatever posts we find interesting.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:30 PM

You're new man, it took most of us a while to gain a reputation and show we are a contributor to the forums. Once you do that people will respond to your posts as they know you are a thinking player. I play in the smaller buyin tournaments $10-$30 range and even when i was playing the 1$ tournaments i got responses because i tried to help out before asking for help myself. Most of your posts are asking for help.

this post, makes you look like a whiny punk.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 PM

I understand the frustration, but I think that the main thing that you can do is start by engaging in discussions on other posters hands. Do some analysis, get your name out there, and then ask for help on your own hands. Surprisingly, you get just as much out of discussing other people's hands than you do out of your own. Once you are recognized for contributing, your posts will garner more attention.
Welcome to the forum.

-sossman
Old 04-13-2005, 02:45 PM

I made two posts today. I got a sarcastic reponse to one of them and no response to the other. Sometimes no response means you played the hand correctly.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:46 PM

Nobody here is obligated to reply to your posts. I noticed when I started posting here that hand histories didn't get the same response they did in the small stakes forum, but for the love of god, I wasn't going to fuss at them because they didn't live up to my expectation.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Pkr4me-

[ QUOTE ]
My last two posts concerned some difficult hands in MTTs and asked for a little help with them to better my play. Tons of people look at them and don't bother to respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I searched your username and only found one thread that you have started. You waited all of 54 minutes before posting this:

[ QUOTE ]
who do you have to blow to get someone to respond to your post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I just missed your other post, but do you really think that makes people want to reply?

[ QUOTE ]
Just remember, you were young once, and learning, and now look at you, you are old in knowledge and there are people out there that could benefit from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do remember. If I didn't, I wouldn't make half the posts I make. The reality is that you get tired of replying to the same questions over and over again when you've been here a while. I reply to a few boring posts each week because I know what it's like to post a hand that is really troubling and have no one reply, but I can't reply to every post.

[ QUOTE ]
I will probably get black balled now and no one will ever respond to my posts again,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you chill out. We've have a number of reformed jerks and "whiny punks" (as Lethal Rose so eloquently put it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), and we don't hold their past behavior against them if they keep it in the past.

Here's the "normal" method for getting responses:

1. Post your hand/question.
2. Wait a few hours, if not a full day, then bump the post once.
3. If you still get no response, move on.

Another option is to PM a friend and ask them to reply. I do this occasionally when post+bump doesn't get it done. Of course, you have to have friends to do this and that may take longer than 2 days.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for you time to read this. No offense intended to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. None taken.

Welcome to the forum,
Che
Old 04-13-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would hate to think that this is just another good ole' boys club where if you aren't somebody nobody cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't entirely the case, but there's some truth to it. It's not that nobody cares; there are a few other concerns that are at play here.

1) If you're new to this forum and haven't been lurking for a while before posting, it's going to be very hard for you to have a good idea about what people will find interesting. You could be posting situations and concerns that have been addressed hundreds of times and that people aren't that interested in. These don't tend to get good responses.

2) Having posted a fair amount of good material, as others have pointed out before, gives you more credibility, and makes it more likely that others will read threads that you write.

It's frustrating when you take the time to post and don't get any responses. My advice is to occasionally - by which I mean not every post, and definitely not more than once per post - bump your thread back to the top of the page if it got buried without any responses. Post a comment along those lines in the thread. Frequently, you will see a couple of responses after this.

Also, as Soss pointed out, you learn a lot by thinking and critiquing the posts of others, so don't overlook that angle as a source of improvement in itself.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:58 PM

You will have to be thicker skinned to improve your MTT.
The cards are cruel, as well as the players.

We are all learning, and are generally interested in those posts that we can learn from.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:50 PM

Thanks Sossman. I have been on this forum with another name, but because I had a computer problem I lost my sign in info so I had to start another one.

I do try and help others as best I can, but tapered off after people basically saying I am an idiot and shouldn't post, because they disagreed with me.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Sorry I said anything to be honest with you.