Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: WSOP All-Time Player Rankings

What is Tom McEvoy doing so high?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is Tom McEvoy doing so high?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 Bracelets including 1 World Championship.
12 Top 3 finishes (4 wins, 2 2nds, 6 3rds) which is tied for 7th all-time.
30 Cashes, which is 19th all-time.

I think his 13th ranking is pretty fair. Who would you put above him?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:22 PM

I would go TJ, Jesus, Baxter.

TJ, by virtue of having played longer, has almost certainly had a better career than Jesus at this point. He's the all-time leading money winner not counting Fossilman. If not for a river 9 in 2000, this wouldn't even be a debate.

Baxter won all of his bracelets but one in lowball, one of the historically least popular forms. He had to beat tougher fields, because generally only the best players come out for these events, but they were much, MUCH smaller, cancelling the first factor out. I put him third for this reason.

Incidentally, I would put Hellmuth below at least Chan, if not Doyle. Chan is a much more well-rounded player, and had the greatest main event run in WSOP history with his 1-1-2 in 1987-89.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:02 AM

yea dan needs to be higher
Old 06-18-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would go TJ, Jesus, Baxter.

TJ, by virtue of having played longer, has almost certainly had a better career than Jesus at this point. He's the all-time leading money winner not counting Fossilman. If not for a river 9 in 2000, this wouldn't even be a debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right. It's a tough decision.

FWIW, I updated my list before TJ won #6. #6 brings him that much closer to Jesus, and might put him above Jesus.

[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, I would put Hellmuth below at least Chan, if not Doyle. Chan is a much more well-rounded player, and had the greatest main event run in WSOP history with his 1-1-2 in 1987-89.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Chan is the more well-rounded player, no debate there. But I have already said that the type of events do not matter (for this list), so you can't hold Hellmuth's holdem-only career against him.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yea dan needs to be higher

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to make an argument as to why?

Besides an excellent 2004, his WSOP career isn't really all that impressive. Only three bracelets, and no championship final tables. And this is coming from someone who has met DN and is a big fan.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Thor Hansen should be on the list. He has two WSOP victories ($ 1,500 Ace to Five Lowball in 2002 and $ 5,000 Seven-Card Stud in 1988). He also has a second place in the $ 1,500 Omaha (limit) and said in a netmeeting with a norwegian paper that he also has two second places in some of the holdem events (but I can not find out which events).

Some info about Thor Hansen:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...?a=r&n=766
Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Updated Rankings

Just for the sake of argument and I think ratings like these are arbitrary, but I think it's easier to do ratings like these more in groups. If you have ever played Fantasy Football, when evaluating players, you don't necessarily rate them 1,2,3,4.....but you place them in groups or tiers.

With that said, I think that Chan definitely has to be #1 over Hellmuth and Brunson deserves a higher rating than Phil also.

I read your argument as to why you placed Phil one and I don't agree, but I don't necessarily completely disagree. Like I said, it is arbitrary.

But, I think Chan deserves #1 with two ME wins and a second. Doyle should be second with his two wins and his success spread out over 4 decades.

ME wins should really be counted or weighted more in rankings such as these.

Also, I'd be tempted to put Seidel above Ungar and I think with his bracelet win this year, that is certainly true, although I'm not as strong with that thought.

Jesus and TJ should be moved up right in front of Men the Master after this year's series is over and maybe flip-flopped if Ferguson doesn't actually win an event this year.

Moving down the list, I think if either Forrest or Flack win a bracelet this year, they are top 5 material. The thing you have to consider about Forrest is he didn't play in many WSOP events for a number of years and his record in the years he did play is phenomeal.

But, this was certainly an interesting thread as food for thought.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 AM

I think it's definitely time to change the rankings for #1 and #2 now.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:19 AM

I agree