Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 11:22 PM

Default Re: will the STEPS field improve a lot?

The biggest difference I have seen in watching high buy in and low buy in SNG is the players willingness to move in. Seemed like every pot was contested to death and like people take shots at raising and reraising very aggressively with unconventional hands like j-10s AND KQs as long as it is limped( or just miniraised) to them and they have excellent postion. Is this what you other players have noticed or am I just wrong??
Old 12-14-2004, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest difference I have seen in watching high buy in and low buy in SNG is the players willingness to move in. Seemed like every pot was contested to death and like people take shots at raising and reraising very aggressively with unconventional hands like j-10s AND KQs as long as it is limped( or just miniraised) to them and they have excellent postion. Is this what you other players have noticed or am I just wrong??

[/ QUOTE ]

not only that but you will see more calling all in in these higher buy in games then in lower ones with worse hands, the reason being of course that later on in SNGs this is often correct against teh large range of opponents hands, you cant get away with stealing as much in these levels.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 AM

These are some dangerous generalizations. My experience with these folks indicates, they play the way the cards, and table texture dictate.

They are good players that will mix it up. Extremely patient at times, they will change gears as stacks and table size warrant it. While they will take advantage of weakness, you better be prepared to make lay downs at the right time.

Maybe I give them too much credit/respect, but I don't think so.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The point was, this is a low limit inexperienced player that made it to step 4. He is not used to the 200$ players that are populating steps 4 &amp; 5. So is the competition stiffer at Step 4 &amp; 5 - YES.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to be snooty, but i have had a lot of success in cash NL games and NL tourneys - i was only saying that i'm inexperienced in these weird 2-table sattelites.

so my question was whether it was a good idea to practice them at the $50 level before taking my $500 shot, or whether in that time the field would be improving a lot also.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:57 PM

This is an easy answer to me. If you are unsure about your satellite game, then keep playing the lower buyins before you use your Step 4. You will improve much more than the Step 4 field will worsen (if it does at all).
Old 12-14-2004, 12:59 PM

My answer is still yes. Unless with you NL you have a lot of short handed and final table experience.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:35 PM

Also if you can qualify for that level a 2nd or 3rd time it takes some pressure off this being your 1 chance at the big money. Maybe put you at ease a little knowing you have a couple of mulligan's.