Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Multitabling

Ok heres something ive been thinking about, I play 4 tables normally and do ok, but I think I would do even better if I played 2 tables. I know it sounds insane, but a few things ive noticed, when I play 4 tables I make a lot of small mistakes because I dont have time to think about my decisions because im playing 4 tables. I play autopilot essentially.

I think the amount lost on small mistakes outweights the amount gained by playing 4 tables instead of 2. From what I see it seems I win the same with 4 and 2 tables, but I lose a lot more when running bad with 4 tables.

Also I really dont improve my game when playing 4 tables, I rarely remember hands as I play over 1000 a day and I analyze a few, but not as much as I would like, part of the reason behind me not moving up as fast as I would like.

Just something I have been thinking about. I think playing a max of 2 tables is best because I can pay full attention to not only my cards, but behaviors of others at the table. I dont know if im right though, somehow it doesnt seem right that playing less hands = more money, but it sure seems that way. I dont know if playing 4 or 2 tables is best in the end. Any comments would greatly help me with this dilemma.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Multitabling

Try playing less tables and record your win/loss and compare it to your win/losses when you're at too many tables. IMO multitabling stretches concentration too thin and keeps you from playing your best. Frequently I find people multitabling and sit down with them and can count on making money.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try playing less tables and record your win/loss and compare it to your win/losses when you're at too many tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill try that, got any programs that could help out with this, lol, im really lazy.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO multitabling stretches concentration too thin and keeps you from playing your best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that, I can see that I dont play as well on autopilot.

[ QUOTE ]
Frequently I find people multitabling and sit down with them and can count on making money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang
Old 08-11-2005, 02:30 PM

What that happens, engage the multi-tabler in conversation if you can.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:48 PM

Try 3 tables. I find that I can play 3 with minimal loss in attention to detail, but 4 seems to be the breaking point.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:51 PM

Everyone gives something up by multi-tabling, the question is if you are gaining more.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:08 PM

You stated you don't make money by playing less hands. Isn't this how we make money against the fish? We play less hands because we pay attention to position, raises in front, who raised in front, and who might raise behind. This forces us to play less hands, but we make more money from the hands we do play. I would play less tables if by playing four or more it cost me that edge.

But the poster who said use tracking software to guide you was 100% correct. Numbers speak louder words.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:38 AM

No, he doesn't mean the number of hands he actually sees the flop with. The total number of hands he sees regardless of when he actually plays them doubles if he plays four tables at once instead of two. Now you are correct about how to make money from the fish and this is where his question comes in. He can pay more attention to two tables at once and make better plays than if he is playing four tables where he is rushed and can cause some less than perfect plays.

What it comes down to is dollars per hour, which method makes the most money in the least amount of time. Now hopefully you will eventually improve at playing four tables at once, so if your $/hour is slightly less at 4 tables compared to 2 or 3, I think it would be wrong to discourage you from playing 4 on a regular basis.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What that happens, engage the multi-tabler in conversation if you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

They won't answer. Most multi-tablers ignore the chat box. They have other hands to concentrate on.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 AM

One other thing to consider is if you tend to get bored in card droughts. I found that by multitabling I was able to keep myself occupied and not jumping on bad hands because I had other hands to play.