Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2005, 08:44 AM

Default My 6max preflop opening strategy

First off let me say that what matters most is post flop play. In part I want to get a settled preflop strategy so I can concentrate on more important things. Also you can’t tackle preflop without thinking about post flop. Mainly I just wanted to stimulate some debate. I’m assuming 100BB stacks and flexibility at the table. It's also fairly rough.

6max opening
UTG
22 AKo,AQo,ATs,KQs,QJs,JTs …..10% of hands
UTG+1 add AJo,KQo,QJo,JTo….13% of hands
Cutoff add Axs,suited broadway, suited connectors to 54s,ATo….20% of hands
Button add K9s, suited one gappers, offsuit broadway, offsuit connectors….30% of hands

I’m interested in views on the merits of Axs in early and Kxs,A9o and offsuit one gappers on the button. I’m viewing the hands as groups rather than individuals so variety is important. I'm looking for a mix of raw strength and potential.

%age chance of holding PP: UTG=60, UTG+1=44, cutoff=30%, button=20%
%age chance of being suited: UTG=22, UTG+1=16, cutoff=37, button=32

Raise or Limp
This is a major question for me. I want this strategy to be ok if I move up so a big consideration is to avoid information leakage. The simplest way to do this is to always open raise in the button or cutoff. I figure I have a major advantage in these positions and raising is the best way to exploit that. If the conditions aren’t right for raising a hand then I’ll fold it but not limp. I am a bit exposed to resteals with these hands. I’m unsure in early position. Any help?

I know some posters advocate raising as standard. I’d like to know if there are major dissenters.

Everyone will have lots they disagree with so concentrate on your main differences.

Thanks
James