Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Small Stakes - People who literally throw money away

Just curious if anyone had an estimate on what they thought the percentage of people that are at a table who are only there to literally blow money. Not someone who is just horrible and will lose money in the long run, but someone who is playing with no intention of making money.

For instance, when I transfered money over from one site to another, I was left with like 2 bucks, and just completely messed around at the .02/.04 NL table. Pretty much just random all ins and such.

Obviously as the stakes are higher, people are less willing to just "give" money away. I don't mean bad players by this question. More of people who really are just playing to waste a few bucks and minutes. What percentage at the penny stakes, $.25/.50, $.50/1, and $1/2 do you think really don't give a damn about the money?

I know this may seem like a ridiculous question, but just curious to see what people thought.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes - People who literally throw money away

bump
Old 12-20-2005, 01:30 PM

I think most are there to win, it's just that they have no ability to. They watch too much WPT or have no knowledge of poker so their play is atrocious. I think the percentage that is there with the intention of actually just donating is infinitessimally small.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:35 PM

I've run into people who normally play higher stakes (because I searched for them next time I played) playing 25NL who are throwing money away to blow steam. That's about it though.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:37 PM

I know a few people that play higher limits, but go down to the penny limits to blow off some steam after a bad beat, or to loosen up after playing their A game for hours at stakes that matter. That might explain some of those players.

The rest? ... Well they probably saw poker on tv for the first time and saw Gus Hanson make outrages plays, or Danny Nguyen lunchbox his way to a WPT title, and naturally assume that is how poker is played, without excepton.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:43 PM

I know that there a lot of guys that come in to my games and just throw money away just for the heck of it. I recently had to withdraw a huge part of my bankroll because of personal things so I'm at the .05/.10 NL games playing with a 200 dollar roll. Today for an instance I raised a pot in late position with 5 callers to .70 cents and a new guy raised me to 10 dollars and i had aces, he has 27 hahahah. I mean I'm cool with it. I'd say a small percentage are these guys but over 15k hands the play is pretty bad regardless.

Verbal
Old 12-20-2005, 01:54 PM

A LOT. A lot more than you would think, at least.

A lot of people make a lot of money and they simply like to play poker, even if they lose. Also, some just want to tell people "I play poker online", because people automatically assume they must be a winning player to be so good that they can play online (GASP...with no reads!).

A lot of people simply don't give an F about dropping a couple hundy a week at their hobby. It's entertainment.

I'm one of those people who doesn't care about picking up a couply hundy a week. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 PM

I've only seen 2 truly donating LAG's in the past 2 months of 25NL I've played. By that I mean overbetting nearly every pot and trying to win them all, like all-in on the flop 5 straight hands.

One I buddy listed and saw him playing 6 1000NL the other day, so he was obviously just blowing off steam in the kiddie pool.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:14 PM

I don't think anyone sits down with the idea of intentionally donating money, or at least very few. I would say the majority could care less if they win or lose, they are just there trying to have fun and the money is of no importance. I would also say there are very few who are actually trying to win, and by trying I mean actively enhancing their game. JMO
Old 12-20-2005, 05:35 PM

I'm sorry, lunchbox? Does this mean he kind of had a set strategy for how he was going to play out his tournament?