Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-01-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Two interesting PF decisions in the same hand with AK

Second hour of the Paradise 75K rebuy. I haven't done all that much here except for one or two hands I've played TAG and not shown down.

UTG is a mediocre to decent player trying to play well. UTG+1 is donkish. CO is good and plays multiple sites - no read on the caller.

Now that you have this info, put everyone on a range and tell me how I played it.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (10 handed) wacki's version of bison

CO (t6265)
Button (t21975)
SB (t6400)
BB (t29615)
UTG (t12800)
UTG+1 (t6997)
UTG+2 (t8230)
Hero (t15253)
MP2 (t10940)
MP3 (t9525)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t200. BB posts a blind of t400.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t800</font>, UTG+1 calls t800, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t800, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t6240</font>, Button calls t6240, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t15228</font>

edit: converter put in the SB but not the BB for some reason
Old 12-01-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Two interesting PF decisions in the same hand with AK

first - i would have re-raised to isolate UTG and UTG+1, particularly since you don't respect their play ... don't understand the smooth-call at all with so many players behind yet to act.

once the play develops as you've described and using your reads, i'd put CO on a relatively wide range of hands (medium-high suited connectors, any pair, broadway med-to-big Aces) since the only player he'd really fear playing back at him would be the original raiser (since each successive caller is likely a weaker and weaker hand).

the scary player is the button who just cold called 1/3 of his stack. he's either a complete donk or waiting/hoping for UTG or anyone else to re-raise so he can get his AA in to as big of a pot as possible.

i don't like pushing AKo here after all this action while the button has me covered. if i had the button covered, i'd push.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 AM

UTG: 88+ AJo+ ATs+
UTG+1: Any pair, lots of broadway hands, suited cards.
Hero's first call: I like it, reraise puts us in an awkward spot when we miss the flop, and i'd rather just avoid it and add some deception to our hand.
CO:88+, AJs+, AQo+
Button: Bleh.. that sucks. Maybe TT+ AQs+ AKo+
Hero's push: A call would be real bad, a push might isolate... i dunno. You said you had no read on the button, but i think he's probably gonna call you. I don't know what i think of this, but this is probably what i would do too.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero's first call: I like it, reraise puts us in an awkward spot when we miss the flop, and i'd rather just avoid it and add some deception to our hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero's push: A call would be real bad, a push might isolate... i dunno. You said you had no read on the button, but i think he's probably gonna call you. I don't know what i think of this, but this is probably what i would do too.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand why you'd call with players behind you because you're want to avoid being in an awkward spot but push after an all-in and a huge smooth-call.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 PM

Come on, an A3o PF hand gets 27 replies because a girl posted it and this one's at 3? Bump [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 01:28 PM

UTG: 99+, ATs+, AJo+
UTG+1: Any pocket pair, Axs, suited connectors down to 56s
CO: Any pocket pair, suited broadways, AQ+
Button: Yech. TT+, AQs+, AK.

I'd probably re-raise the first time around to t2500-3000. (I don't feel like doing the math, but enough to price out the original raiser if he doesn't love his hand.)

With no read on the button, the second time around I...I guess play it the same way you did. I don't think he's folding, and unless you have a stone-cold read that he's on AA or KK, you can't fold.

I was trying to decide if calling, and then pushing any flop would be a viable option, but I guess that would only get called by hands that beat you if you miss the flop, and would fold out QQ or JJ if you hit it. So scratch that.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, an A3o PF hand gets 27 replies because a girl posted it and this one's at 3? Bump [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't look at me - i did my part here ...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:33 PM

I hate your reraise, dump the hand next time.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate your reraise, dump the hand next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you that sure someone is on AA or KK? The call does look make it seem like a possibility, but with all that money in the middle...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:55 PM

I have to agree that smooth calling instead of reraising w/ so many left to act is just asking for trouble because if you do miss the flop, you have zero FE, and are forced into making an ill advised push or hemmorage $$ on susbsequent streets.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand why you'd call with players behind you because you're want to avoid being in an awkward spot but push after an all-in and a huge smooth-call.

[/ QUOTE ]