Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Default dumb people and their dumb pocket pairs

Here is the deal, I read over the thread about how people play their pocket pairs like they are OMGSOSTRONG, and then I was playing in a $.50+.10 sit n go and something happened, and I thought I would share it to see what you all (ya'll, for those in the south) think about it.

Let me set the mood.... Its like the 3rd of 4th hand of the tourney, level 1, blinds 15/30, I am on sb duty and have 1445 after I post the SB, and the guy to my left has 1065 (he won a hand)

OK, so, I am dealt 89o on the small blind and everyone has folded at the table except for me (hero) and the BB (meany villain) so I think that maybe I can scare him into folding by raising 1 BB worth of value, but the idiot calls!!!!! so now i am thinking "wtf could this donkeyfish have?" the flop comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], so I am thinking "sweetness, there is a god, i have TPWOHOAMK (Top Pair With One Hell Of A Mediocre Kicker) so i bet.....4x the BB, and the donkeyfish calls.

So, we will see the turn, which is a J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and I think to myself "enough of this tomfoolery, I am going to take this sucker out" I bet 4x the BB again, "lets see how he likes that" and I feel good about it, so in the text box, I type "I dare you to call THAT, donkeyfish hahahaha, your chips will be mine, and next, your GIRLFFRIEND!!! hahahaha" he calls, and falls right into my little trap. Then comes the river...

The river is a 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], no help to me, I check the board to see if there is a flush possible but there are 2 spears[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and two flowers[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and a heart[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], so I bet.....6x the BB!!!!...... then, and I dont get this, the donkeyfish raises me!!! now I know this mokey's game, he is trying to scare me out of the hand, so I dont even think twice about what I have to do next.....I type "I am not afraid of you, donkeyfish" and I immediately hit the "call" button!!!

This donkeyfish turns over 22, he had 3, 2's!!!!!!! he had called my preflop raise with 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was amazed at this idiot....who calls a preflop raise with 22?!?!?! on what planets is that hand good???? certainly not on America!!!!!!

Who is teaching these morons how to play? where can I find them? and is it legal to kill them here in the US?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: dumb people and their dumb pocket pairs

I feel your pain.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM

Hope this clears things up.
[ QUOTE ]
who calls a preflop raise with 22?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
what planets is that hand good????

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
certainly not on America!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Who is teaching these morons how to play?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
where can I find them

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
and is it legal to kill them here in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 PM

I suspect this post is satirical, but if it is not then I recommend you never raise PF by 1bb. by raising 1bb you are giving the big blind odds of 3:1, which means he can play any two cards unless s/he has a stupendous read, which cannot be the case on the 4th hand of the match.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM

What the hell is going on here. Is OP serious? So BB is supposed to fold a weak steal attempt with a low pocket pair? If he hits the flop (which he did) he could take all or most of your chips (which he did). If you're raising with AK even he has more than a 50% chance to win the hand, let alone 89o. I have no clue if you're serious or not (I'd bet that you aren't), but if so, seriously, quit playing before you lose all your money.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is going on here. Is OP serious? So BB is supposed to fold a weak steal attempt with a low pocket pair? If he hits the flop (which he did) he could take all or most of your chips (which he did). If you're raising with AK even he has more than a 50% chance to win the hand, let alone 89o. I have no clue if you're serious or not (I'd bet that you aren't), but if so, seriously, quit playing before you lose all your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is trying to improve his play based on the pure genius posted HERE. Maybe you should too...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:59 PM

hey Harding, no i am not "satrical" i am a christian. i was thinking about betting more preflop, but why would i bet more preflop if i didnt even have a face card, let alone a pocket pair. the bottom line is, that i have 6 card that give me higher pairs than what he has, and that doesnt take into consideration the combos of cards that give me straights, everyone knows that connectors are the best drawung hand, and should the board show 4 to a flush, i win then as well, he only really has 2 cards which can essentially help his hand, the point is that he is a moron for playing them and got really lucky, and thats all.

i guess some people love playing their luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Johny Genius......THIS IS YOUR WAKE UP CALL!!!!! OVERCARDS ARE BETTER ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE THE WEAKEST POCKET PAIR YOU CAN EVER POSSIBLY HAVE!!!!....but hey, maybe you are 100% right, and maybe i should just never raise because there is a damn good chance that someone at my tabl has a pocket pair, so from now on i am not going to play AK simply because you have enlightened me to what the world of poker is really all about, and that AK sucks, man, what a moron i have been, i am not raising preflop with anything anymore no matter what it i have or what it is, because hey, AVISCO01 said it was "unsmart" to.........by the way did i mention that i am dating both pamela anderson and carmen electra, THAT WILL BE THE DAY!!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM

lol this thread is sorta funny. mostly cuz some ppl are taking it seriously. kinda hilarious
Old 11-30-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol this thread is sorta funny. mostly cuz some ppl are taking it seriously. kinda hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

well hey, i am glad you think it is funny...wait until it happens to you, with your money, and your pride on the line, and btw, just so you guys know, i finished 4th in that tourney...looks like you guys thought i was a lot dumber than i actually am.