Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: fire the third barrel?

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think weak/tight has become common on this fourm. In my month or so posting on this fourm my river agression has increased a lot. I am betting strong but not the nuts hands on the river way more often than I did before I started posting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think where increased river aggression has helped me is not so much in the nuts and strong hands, but the "could go either way" hands.

Getting that 20% fold equity is what makes those hands profitable.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think weak/tight has become common on this fourm. In my month or so posting on this fourm my river agression has increased a lot. I am betting strong but not the nuts hands on the river way more often than I did before I started posting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think where increased river aggression has helped me is not so much in the nuts and strong hands, but the "could go either way" hands.

Getting that 20% fold equity is what makes those hands profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure exactly what you are saying. If I make a river bet I want it to be called. But often only called. I am not trying to push better hands out on the river very often. I am too tight of a player to be trying to push a better hand out, if I make it to the river I either have a real hand or a very strong draw. An example would be when I flop top 2 pair with a board that has a flush draw. I lead out, flat called. Turn is a blank, I lead again, flat call. River brings that flush card. In the past would have checked this to see what villian does. Now I am leading again, knowing if I get flat called again I have the hand won 85% of the time, and if villian moves all-in I can fold. I consider this hand a strong hand but not the nuts obviously, and this is the kind of hand I am talking about.

Like I said in the past I would have checked and opened myself up to bluffs and missing a value bet if villian decided to check behind, I think the increased agression this fourm has brought me has helped my line.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:56 PM

I put the button on a J10, I don't see how he could call a pot sized bet on the turn unless the 8 helped him, I think a check/call is standard here because you are only going to get called by a hand that beats you and of course you are going to call any bet he makes on the river if he decieds to bluff.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:57 PM

darn I was off by one card....
Old 12-29-2005, 09:49 PM

I wouldn't be betting so large in this hand personally. I dont want to play a 200BB pot OOP with only one pair with no reads on this board.

Betting nearly pot on the flop and on the turn leads to a massive pot and you don't really know where you are here.

But I do like the river play. I'm not folding there, so we're going to push all in and calling is up to him.

At these limits there's so many times you're ahead here because of the total crap the opponents are playing and calling you down with that check/fold in this spot with how he played the hand doesn't make sense.

But I prefer a pot control approach in this hand.