Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-26-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Does Tight Passive pay during Reloads??

I have noticed that during reload bonuses that the tables frequently folded when I raised my hands at any point, leaving me taking down only a small pot here and there.

I was winning over 4+BB/100 at the .25/.50 playing tight-agressive poker on UB.

Today I decided to try a little experiment...

I played passively all day trying to induce more callers when I knew (or was fairly certain) I was ahead and favored in the hands.

I created a seperate PT file for today only.

Well of the 1813 hands I played passively today I am up $119.40 that is 13.17BB/100

PT has me rated at a Calling Station/SLPP. with VP$IP 23.11, W$SD 50.46, PFR 6.12, and Aggression factor of 0.88(includes pre-flop)

Anyone have a reason to explain why and what would cause my win rate to go up when I played like this?

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Does Tight Passive pay during Reloads??

Variance.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:38 AM

yah, post yer results after a few more 10K hands.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that would be one of the answers but I did not expect it to be the first one. There has to be more to it that just Variance.

I mean if they want to try to work off their bonus dollars then wouldn't they want to raise the pot up and try to get a larger pot with a better Rake Per Hand average?

Old 12-26-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a reason to explain why and what would cause my win rate to go up when I played like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

*GRUNCH*

Variance.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that would be one of the answers but I did not expect it to be the first one. There has to be more to it that just Variance.

I mean if they want to try to work off their bonus dollars then wouldn't they want to raise the pot up and try to get a larger pot with a better Rake Per Hand average?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think 1,800 hands is significant enough to *know* that your winrate here goes beyond variance, you have some more studying to do..
Old 12-26-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think 1,800 hands is significant enough to *know* that your winrate here goes beyond variance, you have some more studying to do..

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you have discovered that the secret to poker is to be one of the players that pretty much every 2+2er despises, the calling station, proving that we have been wasting our time with all this book learning.

Probably just variance though.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:04 AM

Its kind of a coincidence you posted this. I have been on party for about 900 hands clearing the bonus and looked at my stats and it has me as a slap. I was wondering what the heck is going on, but I had a pretty good run of some unbelievable hands. My conconclusion is in the whole grand scheme of things your stats are going to change and around 2k of hands is not really indicative of your play or how you should play.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed that during reload bonuses that the tables frequently folded when I raised my hands at any point, leaving me taking down only a small pot here and there.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should start to play more aggressive, (semi)-bluff more. This will give you more free small pots, AND it could give you more action on bigger hands when people pick up on your bluffs (then you decrease your bluffing). But I don't think it is a problem to slowplay AA is you think that otherwise everyone will fold if you raise.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:10 AM

Echo on the variance. I saw someone play close to 300 hands at over 90% VPIP and he was making ~20BB/100. Granted 300 is 1/6th of 1800. But considering the statistical merits of these two sample sizes with respect to poker: what's 1/6th of zero?