Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: The Root of All Evil?

algebra humor much appreciated
Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wealthy people, on average, lead much happier and more fulfilling lives than poor people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've interacted with and observed quite alot of people, both rich and poor, and I am convinced that this statement is not correct. IMO happiness has little or nothing to do with wealth.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
--1 Timothy 6:10,11

[/ QUOTE ]

To those knowledgable in biblical scripture (and I'm looking at you NotReady [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) is the above translaton of "ALL evil" correct?

If it is, then isn't Jesus dismissing all sin that doesn't have to do with loving money?

And if it isn't, then how should it read?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's cut and dry. You have to look at the mentality that the love of money produces. Jealousy, resentment, even hate towards the Have's. It's the mentality that occurs when someone has some intention that doesn't line up with their Self, that causes the step down the slippery slope. I think that's the main point. Whether the love for money is the sole initiator of sin is certainly questionable. I think Tim's words point towards following that which is true of Self. What is true of Self is what that person already is, so any departure from that, i.e. following some intention to get a lot of money to satisfy some secret greedy urge, is intending something different than that which the person already is.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ah, right. I had a feeling I overlooked the obvious on that one. So you're just rehashing the same argument I see 20 times a day on this forum? Militancy, I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having something rehashed 20 times a day, but never answered is the interesting point. I guess it cannot be satisfactorily answered and by ignoring it allows a continuing debate as to whether the most righteous sits at the right or the left of god, the correlation between righteousness and distance from god, whether lying whilst crossing one fingers is a lesser offence, etc.. All trivia once you look at and understand the fundamental contradiction.

Anyway, I feel it is important to keep on posting about this as it may make, at least a few readers realise the untenable position of theists. The one they cannot answer without avoiding or mental acrobatics.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 PM

Haha. Finally an answer that makes sense.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 PM

The social studies that I covered when I was going for my psych degree suggested otherwise. However, too lazy and apathetic to dig out links to them, I won't bother backing this up and I'm content to leave this as a moot point.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The social studies that I covered when I was going for my psych degree suggested otherwise. However, too lazy and apathetic to dig out links to them, I won't bother backing this up and I'm content to leave this as a moot point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. My opinion is based only on my own experience, and any "evidence" I might provide would be anecdotal, so I can't say that it's worth much.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:34 AM

Insecurity.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wealthy people, on average, lead much happier and more fulfilling lives than poor people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. That's why I think poor people have no shot at getting to heaven (assuming heaven is a tough place to get into). Poor people have everything to gain by being Christ-like. Rich people don't. If a rich person gives up his own happiness and fulfillness by selling all that he owns to help the poor, he is doing by far more than a poor person could. Therefore, only a rich person has a shot of getting into heaven.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:56 AM

The "love of money" is represenative of rebellion against God. Money becomes one's idol and is viewed supreme to God. It is trusting in something other than God. God want to take care of us, for us to be completely dependend on His love. The love of money in this sense is what led to Lucifers fall and to Man's fall in the garden. All other sins steam from these two "Original Sins".