Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 03:32 PM

Default BB after UTG Open

I have a hard time knowing what to call when there are 5 or 6 at table and UTG opens and it folds to you. Do you call with 107, 106, q4...those are the hardest plays for me all game it seems like. Thanks

PS-No real reads on anyone.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: BB after UTG Open

I've been basically going with the SSH 10-handed "tight" game and adding in AT+ and any broadways. I give a UTG raise in 6-max some credit.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: BB after UTG Open

I think you have to be tighter than playing hands like T7 and Q4 to a typical player's UTG raising range. I think the most aggressive non-reckless UTG openraising strategy is on the order of T9s+, QTo+, 66+. That's including some questionable raises. Many players play tighter than this UTG, some folding hands like JTs, KTo, A8s, A9o.

Playing weak hands OOP is just not profitable enough to overcome the good immediate pot odds you are getting.

Hands like T9o, Q8o, and A6o are probably all slight -EV to play compared to just folding. I'd imagine hands like Q9s and KTo are probably slightly +EV. That's just my guess against a "typical" opponent who opens UTG and, because he is typical, plays mediocre after the flop.