Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: something is very very wrong

Voltron-

I'm truly sorry to hear about your downswing. As you may recall I recently went through something very similar. I took a break from big bet hold em and played LHE, PLO and some LO8, all much lower then my bankroll could sustain. Then, I started back at a one level lower then my BR could sustain, playing less tables and shorter sessions. Eventually I got my confidence back and started running better. For me, as the set over sets and OP v OP and 2nd nut flushes etc started to piled up I went on a kind of meta-tilt that took about a 5-6 weeks of disciplined study, reflection and lower-limit playing to unwind from.

I'm also considering working with a coach. Might not be a bad idea.

Also, you may want to re-read the things you said to me when I was running bad: link.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:09 AM

I don't know about everyone else, but when i am having lots of fun, i play my best. After a bust a 3rd of the table, im my "A" game comes shining threw and i feel like nothing can stop me. When im playing to "get my money back" my game tends to take a nose dive, even if its suttle and i still think im playing "pretty good".

When on a bad streak, the sub-concious becomes a dark, evil place for alot of players. A once that happens, (at least for me) your gunna be a lil hurt up till you get a good rush again. I suggest doing whatever it takes to make poker "fun" again. If thats taking a break, switching games, reading HH's to plug leaks, reading more poker books and articles, or even just doing OTHER things you find fun in life more often.

I have been running bad this week as well. But i have just decided when im not having "fun" anymore, i just go listen to music, play Bass,or do whatever it takes to lighten up the old concious/subconcious. Then i go back later, take another bad beat, but at least the 25minutes before i took the beat was fun instead of my whole session being a self loathing, desperet grind for "my" money back. THat stuff compiles on top of itself if you don't break it up some how. Have fun, and good luck. May all of are bad streaks Turn around soon.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:38 AM

It's tough.

Poker has so much variance... so much more than we even realise I think - I went 11 000 hands and made $250. I moved up from NL50 to NL100 tonight and I made that much in 500 hands.

Take a break, read a poker book and a non poker book. Switch down to a level where you are completely blaze about losing a buyin (but you still want to win the money, you don;t just push with JJ etc), and do 2 tables. You'll add 2 more pretty quickly I guess, but try to think about every decision. This helps me through bad runs.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about everyone else, but when i am having lots of fun, i play my best. After a bust a 3rd of the table, im my "A" game comes shining threw and i feel like nothing can stop me. When im playing to "get my money back" my game tends to take a nose dive, even if its suttle and i still think im playing "pretty good".

When on a bad streak, the sub-concious becomes a dark, evil place for alot of players. A once that happens, (at least for me) your gunna be a lil hurt up till you get a good rush again. I suggest doing whatever it takes to make poker "fun" again. If thats taking a break, switching games, reading HH's to plug leaks, reading more poker books and articles, or even just doing OTHER things you find fun in life more often.

I have been running bad this week as well. But i have just decided when im not having "fun" anymore, i just go listen to music, play Bass,or do whatever it takes to lighten up the old concious/subconcious. Then i go back later, take another bad beat, but at least the 25minutes before i took the beat was fun instead of my whole session being a self loathing, desperet grind for "my" money back. THat stuff compiles on top of itself if you don't break it up some how. Have fun, and good luck. May all of are bad streaks Turn around soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still running bad, lost 5and 1/2 buy'ins today, worst day in 3months after a week of running bad. But i avg'ed 3/5's of a buy in per hour for a week and a half str8 2 weeks ago, varience is mathimatical satan.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 AM

Sucks man, but at least you got the Crimson challenges to fall back on.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
whats this sir?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
whats this sir?

[/ QUOTE ]
NYC Crimson Challenges
Old 11-11-2005, 07:22 AM

To OP: When I started playing NL at the end of the summer this year I got allin with AA preflop many times at the 100$NL at pokerroom. In the last month I don't think that has happend once except against shortstacks.

As for the general level of players I feel that it has gotten better too. In the last week I have only gotten paid off with a set one or two times and I 6-table about 15 hours a week
Old 11-11-2005, 08:35 AM

Hey Voltron,
I'm with you:

And I'm not getting outdrawn or something, this is mainly spewing chips.
Take a break! At least that's what I'm going to do.
Good luck, Dude!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 AM

Take a break. Seriously. Don't play at all for three days. Don't think about poker. A lot of the mental aspects are overlooked on these boards; confidence is incredibly important in winning poker. When you hit a bad run, for whatever reason, you lose confidence and can't play your best. Don't try to fight through it, because you'll just tilt off more money, possibly without even realizing how poorly you're playing. If you come back after a few days and start losing big again, stop. Take another break. Do this until you start off on the right foot, and then it's cake from there.