Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Turn Semi-Bluff turns into a River Bluff

This was a big hand last night, please tell me what you think of my turn and river play. It was a .25/.50 home game. Standard buyin was $20 ( a little short) but by the time that this hand had come around, I had about $40 and villain probably had about $20 more than me. Before I was dealt this hand, I had taken a large pot ~$25 down w/o a showdown when I rivered the nut flush. Villain has been playing solid, showing down good hands.

I am in MP dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and raise to 1.50. Villain is to my immediate left, and calls. There was one other caller, the preflop pot was ~$5.

Flop:

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, and Villain bets 1.25, other caller folds. I think he has a strong hand, at least a K, and is trying to milk it. At this point, I think my A's are outs, along with Q's and I can pick up more straight outs on the turn, so I call.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, villain bets $1.50. I think for about 1 minute, and decide to raise to $5, having picked up more straight outs, and thinking that an A is still good. Villain minreraises quickly, another $5. At this point, I read him for a strong K, probably K J or K 10, based on previous play. I don't think he has a flush draw. Based on this, I decide to call, hoping for a straight card, or a flush card to come so I can block the river.

River: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I sit and think for about a minute, trying to make it seem like I was raising on a flush draw, and bet out $15.

What do you think of the turn and river play?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Turn Semi-Bluff turns into a River Bluff

i dont think hes gonna fold any river for 15 when the pot is almost 30 after he 3-bet-mini-raises the turn

also, why not bet the flop

do you always check when you miss?

what are you trying to represent with the check-raise on the turn? do you really do this kind of move with a flush draw? because it sure doesnt look like a flush draw
Old 11-03-2005, 06:03 PM

I bet ~half the pot on the river to make it look like a value bet. Out of position, I check this flop 75% of the time when I don't hit. It's likely to have hit one of my preflop opponents, and I have a couple of okay draws that I wouldn't mind chasing for cheap. With position, I would make a pot-sized continuation bet in this situation.

As a side note, I also like to raise before the flop from that position with hands like 78s and 89s as well. I was hoping he would put me on a hand like Kcxc, jcxc, KQ, QJ, AQ, 78s, or 89s.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I have a couple of okay draws that I wouldn't mind chasing for cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a gutshot and maybe 3 aces

7 outs?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:16 PM

What OK draws are you talking about here? You have a gutshot. You should have bowed out of this hand at every opportunity. That river play is definitely chip spewing online. Home game, well maybe you know something that we don't.

As far as if you were in position....this might be one of those flops to not CB. You shouldn't cb every hand, and this is one where I might take the turn for free.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:18 PM

yea he gave me 5 to 1 odds when he bet, and I think the implied odds when I hit make it an okay flop call. Probably not the best, but definitely not the worst.