Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Diving into MTT:s

Hi,

First of all, I'm pretty sure that these kinds of things have been discussed serveral times here before but I have searched and searched and I still have some questions.

I'm about to dive into the world of Hold 'em NL MTT:s. Behind me I have something like 30k hands at low limit hold 'em. I know that it's not that much, and that I would be better of with some NL experience but I still want to give it a shot. Now, lets get down to business.

Bankroll and limits
I've heard something about a 100 buyins "rule". It dosn't seem to be that rigid as the 300 BB rule in LL but thats "the rule", right? I've also heard that you need more than that if your planning to stick to MTT:s only. My plan though, is to to revert into .5/1 LL if I hit the $300 mark (and then start over when I've built a new bankroll).

At which level should I start? As low as $5 + $1 or should I start at $10 + $1? The starting fields of $5 + $1 seems to be so huge!

Books and other materials
I already have TPFAP by Sklansky and I have ordered Harringtons book. I will order the second one of him as well, as soon as the swedish company I order from gets it. Do I need more books?

Which are the *must read" threads in this forum? I'm sure there are some classics here, right? I've found eMarkM:s post already (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...mp;o=&vc=1)
I will do my homework before I start, just want to know what to read [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Site to start at
I've heard that PokerStars is a good site for tournaments. Are there others out there that is better? What about UB? And the Party-skins? Personally I don't like the look and feel of PokerStars so if there are equivalent sites out there I would like to hear about them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I also think I prefer to have some chips to start with, 1000 at the Party-skins seems a little low to have something to work with?

Bare with me with this one! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
Fredrik Johansson
Old 05-07-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Diving into MTT:s

LethalRose did an excellent compilation in this thread. Rose's Recs

As for the buy-in rule - I wouldn't worry about it too much so long as you consider LLHE to be your backbone. I would value keeping your BR above that limit and revert to playing only LLHE when your BR is threatened.

I think that UB does the best job with tourney structure and interface. Get used to the mini-view window - I can't say enough about it - the best idea in online poker since rakeback. My problem with UB is that relatively few people play there and they have very few big buy in events. But UB rocks. I love their 6-handed tourneys too.

Don't play the 5+1 - 20% reg fees are hard to beat AND as you mentioned, the fields are huge, tourneys last all day and ITM means you make about $4. Very -EV IMHO.

GL2U, good studying, and come back with any questions.

Welcome to the forum
CSC
Old 05-07-2005, 04:54 PM

When I started playing MTT's a few months ago I started with the 2K guaranteed tournaments at Empire, they usually have around 250 people first place is often near $500. And you only need to win 1 of them to move up to the 10's.

I would start out trying to find tournaments with 100-300 people until you have a few final tables under your belt and you know how to pace yourself and what needs to be done to make a final table. When i made my first final table I learned a lot of how to increase my chances to get there in later tournaments. The tournaments with 1k+ are very tough to beat and I have yet to move up to that many people in a tournament. a field of 250 is much easier for me to wade through than 1k, at least where I'am right now.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I started playing MTT's a few months ago I started with the 2K guaranteed tournaments at Empire, they usually have around 250 people first place is often near $500. And you only need to win 1 of them to move up to the 10's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great tips, I like Empire and there software.

[ QUOTE ]
I would start out trying to find tournaments with 100-300 people until you have a few final tables under your belt and you know how to pace yourself and what needs to be done to make a final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeap, seems like I good idea. What other $10 + $1 (or somewhere in that area) tournaments out there qualify for this requirement?

Regards,
Fredrik Johansson
Old 05-07-2005, 06:21 PM

Great answer, thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
I think that UB does the best job with tourney structure and interface. Get used to the mini-view window - I can't say enough about it - the best idea in online poker since rakeback. My problem with UB is that relatively few people play there and they have very few big buy in events. But UB rocks. I love their 6-handed tourneys too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I wount be needing any big buy in events in the near future. But how are there selection of the kind of tournaments I need? I should also say that I live in Europe and therefor often play in odd hours.

Another question regarding UB - how much chips do you start with? Is it 1500? And should this even be a factor in my choice of site?

Anyway, I will study hard and then come back and start to ask some stupid questions. After that I will study some more and then I will come back and ask some questions that perhaps are a little bit less stupid, and then .... sometime, perhaps, I will get this MTT thing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Regards,
Fredrik Johansson
Old 05-07-2005, 06:38 PM

The chip count is what makes UB so great - start with 2500 chips and the blinds are 5/10. A lot of play. And I think they do offer a good selection of lower buy-in tourneys.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:39 PM

lower buy-ins start you with 1500.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:24 PM

The thing i dont like about UB tournaments is that they dont have guaranteed tournaments. With guaranteed tournaments you can be sure to win so much regardless of the field. And on empire there is always a slight overlay in most of the tournaments. Sometimes its as much as 60%.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:36 PM

A few months ago when I played, UB had regular guaranteed tourneys at the 5.50 level.