Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Advice on playing VERY LAGgy table

I was at a cardhouse in Seattle the other day playing $3-$6 and I complete idiot (in the "profitable for us" way, not the "I don't like him" way, just to make myself clear) sat down 2 seats to my right. Aside from the fact that he played every hand (calls with any holding), he had a betting pattern of basically always 3-betting any preflop raise, regardless of his holding.

He was so obvious about it that others at the table picked up on it (and the table was not full of sharks, believe me), which had the effect that any time anyone raised the pot would be capped preflopped (and thus I quickly abandoned any ideas of isolating him HU, which isn't a very good option in these games anyway; the whole reason I'm playing these games is because so many players will call raises preflop). Of course, even the more observant players at the table were not smart enough to adjust their play accordingly, and for about an hour or two (until a couple of players went broke), it was 4-5 players capped on every street of every pot.

During this time I wasn't getting any cards. I was just watching and folding hands like J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I did enter one pot with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from the BB, but I wasn't even sure if that was correct since if I do not flop a set I have to get out fast, I assume.

Eventually I left this table in search of easier pickings. I have no doubt that this is an extremely profitable table, and the type that a lot of you players look for, and hence this post. I'm not exactly sure if I'm capable of playing that kind of table profitably.

From what I understand, at these kinds of tables, you want to tighten up considerably, and only play hands like AA-QQ, AKs, AJs and AQs. However, I'm not sure how to play optimally post-flop. My inclination is with overpairs to always wait for the turn to raise (even the small chance that someone folds to your raise on the turn in such a huge pot is worth the risk of not raising the flop). However, with hands like AKs, how far do you want to go if you don't hit the flop (is is worth drawing to 6-out overs?).

Lastly, am I wrong with that assumption? Should I be playing hands like T9s trying to flop a monster? My gut instinct is that it isn't worth paying 2 BB (cap is three raises) to see a flop with those hands, but given all the action on every street, maybe it is.

Advice from someone who plays in these games a lot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!