Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 07:22 PM

Default QQ agains overbet, middle stages of $2k at Empire.

Empire $2000 guaranteed. ~80 left out of ~180. I'm a little above avarage stack size, but not by much. Big blind is t100. I've just started to study MTT:s so please go ahead and teach me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

UTG (t2065)
Villian (t4156)
Hero (t2750)
MP2 (t9787)
MP3 (t635)
CO (t4350)
Button (t1510)

UTG folds

Villian raises to t700

Hero holds Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian has been a tight player (22% in 53 hands) so far so I think I have to give him credit for some kind of hand. But the overbet (7xBB) puzzles me. How should this affect the range of hands I put this guy on? Anyway, I decided to push. How was my move?

In retrospect I suspect that I didn't analysed this situtation as well as I should have done. I didn't put him on any range of hands. I know that I'm a huge underdog to AA or KK. Coinfilp agains AK, favourit or big favourit agains "the other hands" (and this is where I should have thought about the chance that he had a hand in this "range")

Earlier on this tables I had QQ in a similiar position although that time i opened for t100 (blinds at 30/15) and got something like five callers. Of course that scenario won't be repeated this time but I wanted people out of this to get it HU.

The information in white belove is not the results, but it's not information I had when I made my move som please read it afterwards.

<font color="white">While writing this I've also discovered that I'm a donkey!! I had a couple of reads on this guy that I missed I had when the hand took place. Both reads I have if from the 30/15 level. One time he made a large overbet with AKo (sorry, didn't write down the exact amount he betted) and another time he pushed KK agains a 100 raise. This seems, at least to me, as if he fears to get action with his premium holdings and overbets them. Am I reading to much into these to fuzzy reads? And should they at all affect my decision?</font>

If you advocate another line on this one please fill me in with a couple of postflop situations with this hand and how I should act postflop.

All the help I can get and tips about the correct thought process in this kind of situation would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Fredrik Johansson
Old 05-12-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: QQ agains overbet, middle stages of $2k at Empire.

I would push here. Like you said, his overbet is puzzling and almost guarantees that he doesn't hold AA or KK (would he be trying to blast everyone out of the pot with these hands?).

My guess is that villain has a pretty strong hand that doesn't want to see a flop. I think the worst case scenario for you here is AK, I'd expect you'll be up against that or something like JJ-TT the rest of the time.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:31 PM

I see this kind of bet most often with AK and TT-QQ so your push is fine against the average/unknown player. You would need to have a read that makes AA/KK very likely to turn this push into a fold. Calling is a poor option with several players left to act.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:06 AM

For the sake of argument, lets say that he insted of raising it to t700 raised it to t300, how much should I be reraising him? And when he then pushes, easy call?