Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: How often is he full of [censored]?

[ QUOTE ]
10h 9h MP is an instant fold for me. This is not deep stack poker. Blinds are worthless at this level, and getting involved with a holding like this is pointless to me. I realize it's great to mix it up, but I am looking to get my chips in better spots this early.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some pros who advocate raising with suited connectors in an unraised pot. You'll see this play very frequently, and some pros will tell you they prefer the suited connectors over hands like AQo. It's not due to the sheer power of the hand itself, but the possibility that a made hand holding Th9h will be so profitable that the AQo pales in comparison. When someone holding a smaller A gets top pair against your AQo then it's much harder to get paid vs. someone holding top pair against your flopped/turned/rivered straight or flush that can often be a well disguised hand. In addition, hands like this are very easy to release postflop if you don't hit and you can keep your losses at a minimum. Plenty of players can go broke on a hand like AQo by running into AK, but with T9s you're not likely to run into those types of confrontations as often.

If Exit limped this hand, I'm assuming the table has been rather passive so far and he's expecting to see a cheap flop here with a holding that could break all 3 players in the hand if he hits. He probably even thought at the time that if it came back around with enough callers that he'd play this for a smallish raise too. I definitely would assuming that there were enough callers and their stacks were relatively deep.

With the exception of the flop not having any hearts to it, this is practically a dream flop for T9s. The only things to be remotely concerned about here are overpairs, 2 pair, sets and the possibility that a club draw will come in. Hero definitely wants to play this hand hard and fast, in my opinion, because if villain is on the draw you don't want him getting free or cheap cards and hero would most likely be ahead on a ragged board like this one. I don't see villain playing hands like A3 or A2 the way the hand played out. AT seems possible, as do pocket pairs of 22,33, TT-AA (very unlikely he has the last 2 tens) and then T2 could be a remote possibility if villain is a donkey that learned from TV. There's also the remote chance villain is holding 88 and turned a set. I think it's highly unlikely that the river card helped his hand that much. If all you need is to be right 30.9% of the time then I think I'd have to make the crying call and hope that villain doesn't show me TPTK, 2 pair or a set.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 PM

Guess, I need some work there. I agree that seeing a flop for cheap with suited connectors is great. For me, not in mid position, and I'm not pissing away my stack when I have 2 people calling substantial raises. If I was playing deep stack poker, yes I understand how a holding like this could be a raise. Pretty tough with PP blind structures IMO

If this is also a leak, let me know. It much be a miricle that I win my share of these. Thanks for the help.

Jason
Old 11-14-2005, 12:47 PM

If you hit the fold button PF in Exit's spot here, then yes I do beleive it's a leak.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:02 PM

and you play each street like he did? are you calling this for your stack?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was playing deep stack poker, yes I understand how a holding like this could be a raise. Pretty tough with PP blind structures IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd agree that deep stacks would make this play more compelling but with 50bb avg. stacks you still can't fold PF here. Remember that PS's structure is pretty decent - most tourneys start with 75bb and 15 minute blinds.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM

No I probably jsut call the flop, and maybe fold the turn to a second barrel. No way to I call the river.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'I have top pair so I Bet'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well that's not ALL of my logic [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I didn't see much of a reason to think my hand wasn't good, cause taht SB bet really doesnt mean much of anynthing, and just a flat call of it is real weak too, so i thought i had a good chance of taking the pot now, and if not, it's probably not going to be threeway anymore atleast. The problem for me with just calling is .. wll i guess i'm just not good enough, because i feel lose on the turn, you said 'if he leads and you think he's drawing' i'm not sure if i trust my gut to decipher one of some random guuys bets and conclude that he's drawing. Would checking behind on the turn and calling a normal bet on the river be bad? I give him a free shot at a club if he's drawing, but then he might bluff at it if he misses it, atleast i give him a chancee to do something stupid and it probably won't cost me everythign if i'm wrong.

-Ray
Old 11-14-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. you are in a limped pot
2. three way action,.. bets raises, calls
3. you are holding top pair with garbage kicker
4. its early in the tourney and you have just pissed your stack away. if you can't find better spots to get your money in with, you suck

[/ QUOTE ]

1. 9Ts is a good hand to see cheap flops with.. or even small raises.
2. I don't know what you just said there. There is threeway action on the flop, but it really really doesnt show much strength at all.
3. So? You only play TPTK or better?
4. I don't see how it being early in the tournament changes anything, and i really think i was in a good situation to get my money in PF and on the flop.. after that it starts becoming a worse situation, and i think the river call was indeed 'pissing away my chips', but you're saying playing the hand at all was, and i dont agree there.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villain doesn't show me TPTK

[/ QUOTE ]

I was totally surprised by this. he had AT. I assumed i was beat most of the time here, but like i said i thought i was good enough of the time (which, i dont agree with anymore, but oh well) But i was expecting to be beat by a set or two pair. Definitely did not think he had AT.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:54 PM

well it is only 30 to call preflop,hero has 2700,why not call?