Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Yes, poker is an up and down game

As a relative newbie here, I have benefitted from reading about other players' downswings and their frustration with variance, since it helped me deal with the same frustration I've had when I had been losing a lot. And reading those threads from others has kept me from posting any of my own.

After awhile you realize that variance is just part of the deal, and that complaining about it is pointless. But you can't expect a new player to realize that.

And, yeah, some semi official thread on Dealing with Variance would be useful.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:10 PM

Agreed. We need to acknowledge that though we're playing at the same limits...not everyone has had the same experiences.

For example...I see these posts about 100-BB downswings, and I wonder what the hell people are talking about. I haven't seen one of those. I expect it's coming...and I'll probably be ready for it. But if someone hadn't posted it, how would I know it's normal?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a relative newbie here, I have benefitted from reading about other players' downswings and their frustration with variance, since it helped me deal with the same frustration I've had when I had been losing a lot. And reading those threads from others has kept me from posting any of my own.

After awhile you realize that variance is just part of the deal, and that complaining about it is pointless. But you can't expect a new player to realize that.

And, yeah, some semi official thread on Dealing with Variance would be useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Perhaps my feelings on it are a little to harsh, but I think that the problem is that there are simply too many of these posts coming in lately. Yes it is useful to have the information available to you. However there are already a multitude of these posts out there. I think that in general, myself included, people would be well served to spend more time looking for information rather than simply asking for it.

Edit: Also remember that there as I said there were three posts of a very similar content on the main page when I posted this message. Yes if a topic is useful for you post it by all means, but if a relevant thread exists already please put your comments in there