Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Flush draw pumping/am I a wimp?

Seat 4 is the well known nulook, and seat 8 is someone I had never played before. This pot got big suprisingly fast. While this hand was underway, I felt like a wimp for slowing down on sixth and seventh. What would you guys do in that situation? I was thinking that seat 8 has to know I had a flush, and he is hyper aggressive on 6'th. At the same time, I was having a real hard time putting him on a boat in spite of how he was betting.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (1.80 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___double bets___raises___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street - (12.90 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (15.90 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises

River - (24.90 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (26.90 BB)
Old 07-15-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Flush drraw pumping/am I a wimp?

No, you're not a wimp. This hand was played perfectly by you. Unless you know the 8 seat is a maniac you have no choice but to slow down when he three-bets sixth.

Mike Emery
Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Flush draw pumping/am I a wimp?

I think you played it well.

What does everyone think of open completing here sometimes? All the Aces are live and only one dead [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] with small cards behind you?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:32 PM

Hi,

Well with both an 8 and a 6 out, you are much less likely ( mathmatically ) to be facing trips.

However, when the sixes overcall the eights on 6th, I might just call instead of raise.

Just calling on the river is fine.

CJ

I just re-read post and saw another 8 was thrown away, so the more I think about it, I moght be more inclined to raise 6th.. which means you played the hand just fine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Flush drraw pumping/am I a wimp?

[ QUOTE ]
No, you're not a wimp. This hand was played perfectly by you. Unless you know the 8 seat is a maniac you have no choice but to slow down when he three-bets sixth.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, You know he doesn't have trips 8s because you have one and another was dead. You know he doesn't have trip 6s because nulooks has got too of those. There is 1 way for him to have you beat, and that is with 44 in the whole. Notice that there are only 2 unseen 4s so you can't quite assume he has both of them in the hole. Espically after he calls 2 BB cold on 4th. HE HAS TO HAVE A HIGH POCKET PAIR. So when he 3 bets 6th you should cap it on him.

Keep in mind this requires you to remember that a 4 and an 8 are dead. If I didn't remember this I may have slowed down.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:39 PM

With a really dead 8 I'm not a big fan, and you may limit the number of opponents
Old 07-15-2005, 02:46 PM

I would not open complete in this situation, because I find at 5/10 that this move can significantly thin the field. Quite often I see someone steal the antes when trying this. With this opening hand I wanted some opponents.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quite often I see someone steal the antes when trying this

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not a bad thing.

Looking back I do agree that your hand is probably a little too dead, but if the 8's were live I think this would be a good spot for the occasional open completion.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:12 PM

"am I a wimp?

Yes, but not for how you played this hand.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You've shown a ton of strength, and now they're coming back at you. Just be happy they built a mega pot for you. How would you have felt if you raised 7th and got three bet, and he did have whatever he was representing.

Jon has gone through and discounted a lot of the hands this guy is representing. I guess the thing to be learned here is the importance of keeping track of dead cards.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 PM

I like how you played it, but if seat 8 was nulook I would cap without hesitation.