Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-11-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Pushing In With KJ Suited

Blinds 15/25, 7-Handed, $40 Buy-in Multi-Table, early in the tourney...

I'm in the CO with a slightly above average stack (T1300) and get K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG limps (loose limper) folded around to me. I make it T75 to go, my standard raise.

SB (T1100), a looser but tricky player, calls as does the tight-weak BB (T750). T250 in the pot, 3 to the flop.

Flop comes down: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB and BB check, I underbet the pot (T150). SB min check-raises, BB folds... I think about it and call (first mistake?).

Turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks to me and I immediately go all-in. (There is T850 in the pot, and I had about T900.) What do you think of my move, and what would you call my all-in with? (results in white)

Thanks in advance for any responses.

<font color="white">SB goes deep in the tank, thinks about it, and calls with Big Slick, no hearts. No Ace on the river, I am bounced.</font>

Old 03-12-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Pushing In With KJ Suited

How did BB check on the turn if he folded on the flop ?? If it was SB who checked on the turn but earlier check raised I'd assume he had a fairly decent hand and was just scared when the ten came. You have top pair weak kicker and you described him as loose so you have to consider he might call. I'd check the turn here and see the river for free, and he has to act first so you'll have some idea. I just don't think you're in that great a position to put the whole tourney on the line with just TP.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:32 PM

I'm not sure why you underbet the pot on the flop. You got about the best flop you could hope for and opened yourself up for the check/raise (or would have given your opponents a cheap draw). I don't think calling the c/r was awful.

Why you would shove in on the turn is another head scratcher. Did you put SB on a steal attempt with the c/r, c on the turn? I think a check through would have been better. The turn didn't really help you. I would hope for help on the river and hope he checks to you again on the river.

I would think that if you were going to play the hand fast, the flop would have been a better time to shove. Now that you know that SB liked the flop, you decide to shove? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 05:36 PM

Thanks for your responses guys, they were very helpful. Oh, and yes I meant the SB checked to me on the turn... I noticed my error and thought I edited it, but guess not.

I usually play with a "catastrophist's mindset" early in a tourney, as the competition isn't so stiff at this game (it's a live game btw), and I can afford to wait for a big hand or a great semi-bluffing opportunity. I usually get in trouble when I make a play based on an incorrect read.

I did put the SB on a steal with his flop check-raise, and actually thought when I pushed on the turn there was a decent chance I had the best hand.

My whole read came from a couple key moments.

1. When I made my standard CO raise, which I'd made the last 2 orbits and probably screams steal, I assumed that SB, who has a decent read on me and knows about the gap concept, would reraise me with a premium hand like AK (especially cause he'd be out of position for the rest of the hand). I guess he decided to trap or just call and take a flop with it.

2. When I underbet the pot (now I see a very big mistake), his min-raise confused me. I wasn't sure what kind of hand he'd do that with (he's a tricky player, but I think he'd play bottom set or 2-pair very fast, and with a set of Queens or Kings I think he'd try to milk me). Maybe could have avoided all this confusion by betting the pot or even overbetting it. Anyway it helped establish in my mind that he might be "stealing" with a worse hand than mine.

Next time, after someone shows strength, and I have a mediocore holding, I'll try not to push in on the next betting round and try to take the free card. (That is until I get better at reading people.) Funny how sometimes you can lose sight of common sense in the heat of the moment.

Thanks again.