Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 03:35 PM

Default AK in peculiar spot

2-4 NL table, 6 handed.

Hero = 220
SB = 120
BB = 350

Player to my left is a [censored] donkey. She's been lucking out a bunch, calling from blind with a lot of hands, betting out only when she's made something, but calling down with marginal hands. She strikes me as very passive. I've been laggish, betting into a lot flops.

Hero has AK off button, raises to 12
SB calls
BB calls
Pot: 36

Flop: Ac 4c Js

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 20. SB calls, BB folds. Pot = 76

Turn: 8h
Hero bets 40
BB is all in to 98
Pot 204, 58 to call.

Analysis?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: AK in peculiar spot

Bet more on teh flop, like 28 at least. Ck behind on turn. Call modest river bet and bet 2/3 pot if cked to on the river.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:57 PM

Obviously, this all depends on your past c/b's, etc., but I would bet at least 3/4 pot on the flop (probably closer to pot though). That is a draw heavy flop. I do not agree to check behind on the turn, and I would just get it all-in.

As played, I think it's a call
Old 12-30-2005, 04:06 PM

Do you really want to bet 3/4 of the pot and give away the strentgh of your hand? Even if both players call, the second is getting 3 to 1 to see his flush or straight. See, I get confused as to the bet amount (between 1/2 and 3/4) against passive players.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really want to bet 3/4 of the pot and give away the strentgh of your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you want to bet at least 3/4 pot to protect your hand. Your hand is not that strong to begin with, and if a Q, J, 10, or a club falls, you are going to be feeling even worse about it.

[ QUOTE ]
See, I get confused as to the bet amount (between 1/2 and 3/4) against passive players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't. My advice is just to make your standard c/b's at least 3/4 pot against all opponents. And, especially against loose-passives, make them pay more (because they will).
Old 12-30-2005, 04:14 PM

This is all good advice. My reason for cking behind on the turn is that you are either WA or WB. Your opponent is drawing to at most 9 outs with 1 card to come, and I dont really want to play a large pot with a single pair.

When you ck behind the turn, you also give the flush draw a chance to bluff the river. Your opponent would also call much lighter on the river since you showed weakness on the turn.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:12 PM

Thanks. This is excellent advise, I understand now.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:43 PM

First get in the habit of buying in full. What are you doing with a 220 stack?

On to the hand:
You say you have a laggish image and your worried about tipping off the strength of your hand?

Bet 3/4ths the pot, you should be doing this with continuation bets, air and actual hands.

On the turn just pot it, in actuality it looks weaker than a call me bet. Of course she is going to push the turn if she decides to go ahead with the hand, she doesn't have any stack left.

You seriously weren't considering a fold on the river were you getting 4-1 on your call? That is very weak tight man. This could be all types of crap much less than Ax in a 3-handed game. Sounds like result based thinking. You got it all in versus a 30BB shortstack with AK and an A on the board in a 3-handed game... no brainer.