Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 05:56 AM

Default How To Make \"Taking A Break\" more +EV?

I started playing poker about 18 months ago, and have played almost daily since. I decided to take the last week of this year off from poker. Things haven't been running as well as I am used to, and I have read suggestions to other posters that a break may be a good way to begin turning things around. So, I have been rereading my poker library and reading 2+2 more often when i normally would be playing. Today I reviewed some hands in Poker Tracker. Unfortunetly I only have ~ 5000 hands at my new level. With my sample size being so small, I thought it would be better to replay the actual hands than to put too much weight in overall averages for each hand type. I also have been trying to find a concept or two to think about while i am at work. For example, today i thought about how to play my small-medium PP better. Going over different scenarios in my head and thinking about the best play and whether or not I have been consistantly making the correct play for the scenario. What else should I be doing to make this break +EV?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Re: How To Make \"Taking A Break\" more +EV?

[ QUOTE ]
What else should I be doing to make this break +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

posting hands

looking over your biggest winners & losers after every sessino, or in your case over the past 5000 hands.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:03 AM

When I take a break I pretty much stop thinking about poker completely. If you sit around and think about things too much you'll just perpetuate many of the things you were doing badly before. If you want to improve, play and post hands. If you want to take a break, take a real break. When you return, the game will be fresh and you'll see things you never saw any more. I find that every time I take a month off from playing or thinking about poker, when I come back, the game is an order of magnitude easier.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What else should I be doing to make this break +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

party poker blackjack! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Seriously, it seems like you are on the right track. Keep working and thinking about the game.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:18 PM

I agree with mason. I took a break once a while back when I started running bad & playing poorly. My motivation was lacking, and I was not doing well. I took 6 weeks off from poker totally. I didn't play, I didn't post, I didn't read anything. I didn't even watch poker on TV, and I ddidn't play my semi-regular home game with friends.

When I came back I was totally re-energized & clobbered the game again.