Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 08:03 PM

Default KQs - took some heat at the table for this one. hows it look?

I am in the CO with KQs. SB seems decent, hasnt played anything stupid and has shown down solid hands. Had a good sized stack until he lost a large pot when opponent sucked out on river.

I took a lot of flak from a couple of seemingly good players at the table (one was villian in this hand) for what i did with this hand. How would you play it? I am mostly concerned with my turn call. thought about a healthy raise but decided not to.. reasoning later. Also how much do you bet on river? Do you ever check behind?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($61.45)
BB ($35.75)
UTG ($49.25)
MP ($40.18)
Hero ($59.65)
Button ($100.10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $4.

Turn: ($12.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($22.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero???</font>
Old 12-11-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: KQs - took some heat at the table for this one. hows it look?

looks fine.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:13 PM

what was he complaining about? did he call your raise with 92o or something like that? im assuming he had you beat until the river, since he hit the flop with a 2, 5 or 7. oh well,you have to bet the river.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:20 PM

how much do you bet on the river?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB seems decent, hasnt played anything stupid and has shown down solid hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Till the river your play is fine. His actions contradict your judgement of him however. Here's why:

With a PP 10s or higher a decent player should raise rather than call most times in the SB. So for him to play this way if he is indeed decent means he has a small PP he was hoping to hit a set on (if he hit a set on the turn you got pwned if you raised the river but this probably isn't the case). If he had a set on the flop he should have bet it himself.
If he had overs he botched this completely.
If he has a SFD he should have led the flop.
If he did indeed have a small PP that I think he did he should have blocked the river: draws missed and checking is more likely to induce a bluff that could be bigger than a he can correctly call with 1 pair.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 PM

i'd probly put about 15-20 in on the river... i think you're valuebetting here as he looks to be weak... it would be ballsy for him to try to c/r a set here IMO
Old 12-11-2005, 09:23 PM

He might be taking a stab at the pot on the turn with an ace and an overcard (so two overs and a gutshot). Since you called, he shuts down and depending on his style will call you with ace high. My guess is that this is what happened since he berated you (did he have AKo and you hit your only queen?)
Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 PM

I probably bet 7-10 on the river. This can get called by a lot of his range. I don't really see what you could get heat about, you didnt do anything wrong.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much do you bet on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 pot
Old 12-11-2005, 10:09 PM

Okay sounds like i played the wa most of you would have.

I put him on a draw... either something like 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or small pocket like 44 or 66.

on river i was 95 percent i ws good and just hoped he had enough of a hand to call a small bet. He couldnt have a better Q becasue I had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and any other AQ usually folds flop, and definetly doesnt donk bet 5 on turn.

Hero bets 10 look ok?
Vilian calls 10

Hero shows K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MHIG

They said i just got lucky becasue i hit one of my six outs outs on the river. I told him he played his hand terribly, making an an incredibly weak bet on turn with a very strong hand (either raise pot or check/call), and then a bad call on the river with just a pair of 3's. I dont know if he thought i was bluffing or what.
And he was pissed that he had my flush draw covered. Sure i wouldve been stacked if a spade fell but thats poker. My flush would have been good here I'd say 9 out of 10 times (not knowing villians cards). So as it played out i think villian blew it and gave me the pot. I didnt think he was so solid afer this hand.