Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 03:10 PM

Default A weird one.

Full ring, 10/20.

LAGGY bad player limps UTG. I haven't had much experience with seeing his showdowns but he's 48/16 average 8-handed. I don't have a super great handle on his postflop or preflop play. Folder, folder, limper, limper, folder, folder, folder, and I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. LAG limp-reraises, limpers both call two, and I cap. Four to the flop for 16SB.

The flop is 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet. LAG raises. Limpers fold. I call. Good so far? Bad so far?

The turn is the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Now what?

Rob
Old 11-11-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: A weird one.

I don't like the idea of 3-bets going in on the turn (maybe this is too weak?) and check/calling sucks, so yeah, donk bet.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Bet the turn and call down if raised.

2-3 BB going in on the turn and river seems about right here. I'm not concerned about villain folding a worse hand here. I think going to 4 or 5 BB here is probably spewing as the limp-reraise does represent AA or KK a reasonably high proportion of the time (though probably not a majority pre-flop, it becomes quite likely once you get raised on the turn).

Pre-flop and flop look perfect.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Depending on his post flop stats, if he is aggressive I check to him and let him continue betting the hand.

I would probably lead most rivers though. Again depending on his post flop stats... they would dictate how I handle a river raise... but I would guess against most opponents bet/folding the river would work.

My goal for this hand would be to have two more bets go into the pot while avoiding a third.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM

If the limpers are passive, I don't mind a c/c on the flop (I doubt the limpers have you reverse dominated) but if there's a chance they'll raise a bet by the LAG, I like betting out better and letting him raise. Yeah, in conclusion, I'd rather pay one bet than two, but I think checking will often lead to two bets anyway and I like the benefit of getting HU with the LAG as well. (ugh, this is unclear upon further reading. What I was trying to say is I think betting and having the LAG raise is usually best.)

As for the turn. If you want to play it safe, check/call, maybe donk the river. Definitely bet the river if he checks behind on the turn, but you already know that.

If you think he's FOS, I like donking the turn and calling a raise, then donking again on the river.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. . .I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB . . .

The flop is 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . . .

The turn is the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deck change.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:21 PM

As described... I think this lag in this hand may likely be playing a 22-55, 87s-JTs type hand. I may try and dissuade him right off the bat and 3 bet the flop and lead the turn rather than letting him get comfortable. If my read is correct... then this lag-type never relinquishes the lead/momentum once he gains it. Don't let him gain it.

Quite read dependent, though. Other plays also make sense.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As described... I think this lag in this hand may likely be playing a 22-55, 87s-JTs type hand. I may try and dissuade him right off the bat and 3 bet the flop and lead the turn rather than letting him get comfortable. If my read is correct... then this lag-type never relinquishes the lead/momentum once he gains it. Don't let him gain it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I want to take the initiative away? Is he folding a better hand or calling with a worse one?

Rob
Old 11-11-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I want to take the initiative away? Is he folding a better hand or calling with a worse one?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... the only reason I want to have initiative is to make sure I don't miss bets. But against this type of dude you usually don't miss bets. So whatever... I don't think we're folding a pair or anything with any regularity, and pushing to hard on the flop seems likely to amount to putting in tons of chips in what amounts to like a 6-out draw.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:25 PM

But seriously,

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn and call down if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other play is check-call-donk, but I don't like it because he can easily freecard the turn when we're ahead.