Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Want to help plug my expensive leak?

This is kind of like Beer's "tell my how I suck" thread. I have become convinced that I hold onto hands too long on 6'th and 7'th streets, due to over-emphasis on pot odds. I have been letting the fact that I am getting 6, 7, or 8 to one odds on the bet overcome my better judgement on letting go of hands.

Typical situation - I start with pocket or split aces. I get called in spite of pushing hard. Villain catches a pair on sixth. He leads out and I call. I get nothing on the river. He leads again - I try to decide if the pair is just a by product of chasing a flush or straight and often call against my better judgement. Pretty sure this is costing me a lot.

Another one - this happened last night and cost me a ton. Three way pot - one newbie and one solid guy. Solid guy has a board full of rags and is pushing hard. Newbie is chasing a flush. I hit an ace high straight on sixth and bet out. Everyone just calls. I lead on 7'th and get raised by newbie and re-raised by solid guy. I don't fold because the pot is huge by then (24BB or so), but it costs me two more big bets. Sure enough, solid guy has a totally hidden boat (he went runner runner), and newbie had the flush. I let the pot odds over rule my gut that said - "you are beat - get out"

On the other hand, there are lots of times where I have made calls against my better judgement and been paid off nicely.

So my question is - how do you guys know when to make these tough folds, and do you think you make them often enough? I am going to start a mid term exerecise to track my performance in these situations. It will essentially try to quantify "gut vs odds", and see where it nets out. I will measure:

1. What is my read on 6'th and 7'th - behind or ahead?
2. How many people in the hand?
3. How did I decide if I am ahead or behind and what warning signs did I miss? For example, is a non fish showing aggression that I cannot explain?
4. If I call the river, what is the result, categorized by whether I over-ride my own read or not. So if I win a hand where I call against my better judgement, what is the payoff?
5. I will then tally a score that compares what my results would have been if I had listened to my gut versus the results I actually achieved.

Would you guys watch for anything else? I am likely over-analyzing this whole thing, but I think the numbers will show that I have to go with my reads more often.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Want to help plug my expensive leak?

Chances are you are worrying about the wrong thing here. A LOT of the time you should pay off. However, it's easy to be sure enough that you are beat to fold when you are getting odds like "6, 7 or 8 to 1" that you mention. When it gets a little higher it is hard though, and paying off can't be too far wrong. Remember that one correct call getting 10-1 pays for 10 incorrect ones.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:55 AM

I have been wondering about your first scenario myself. I think if your opponent called on fifth, with no apparent draw, you have to give him credit for a pair. In which case, if he leads into you, I think the right play is to call there, and fold the river unimproved.. Make sense?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:58 AM

If you have an ace up and have represented aces hard, your opponent will bet 6th when he pairs his board and makes two pair. But whether or not he bets the river or not depends on your opponent. Some people would check-call two pair on the river bc they are afraid you made aces up (passive players). So for some people, their lead on the river makes it less likely they have two pair.

Obv, in most cases one pair will be no good against many opponents. Just something to think about. But what do I know, I'm getting my ass buried left and right lately. Hopefully the bleeding will stop at the Taj Mahal TOMORROW.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 PM

I just played a hand horribly..

I complete with a K showing, a K is out, I have a 3 flush.. I get two callers.. I catch a king on 4th, bet double, my opponent with an Ace and a JAck showing calls!!! I bet fifth!!.. The rest is even more embarrassing. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have an ace up and have represented aces hard, your opponent will bet 6th when he pairs his board and makes two pair. But whether or not he bets the river or not depends on your opponent. Some people would check-call two pair on the river bc they are afraid you made aces up (passive players). So for some people, their lead on the river makes it less likely they have two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you're saying, but this hasn't really been my experience on Party.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people would check-call two pair on the river bc they are afraid you made aces up (passive players).

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't this an OK way to play it? 2 pair are about a 2 : 1 favorite over the AA depending on the how live the hands are. If you hold 2 pair and always value bet, then you win 2 extra BB 2 times, and lose 2BB when your opponent raises you that 1 time when you are behind. (I suppose if your opponent isn't inclined to raise his higher 2 pair then you come out ahead.) Seems to be more or less a wash.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Its not so simple, right? The whole betting in first position thing, and the fact that the two pair could also fill up.

I think its player dependent.. I know a guy like Hippoo will be more than happy to bet his 4's and 5's into people on the river.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:48 PM

I think the number of people in the hand is a very important, and thus the second hand you describe is worse than the first. In #2, you have a newbie (presumably too loose and too passive) who raises you on 7th in a multiway pot. You had put him on a flush draw. Next, you have a solid player who likely has some hand reading ability and had a similar read. He reraises. I don't think we're good here 1 in 10 times.

In hold em, I found that my game improved when I started respecting moves from non tricky players in multiway situations, stuff like folding top pair to a player who check raises the field in a multiway pot on the turn.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Its not so simple, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you limit the question to how do I deal with holding two pair acting first against AA with a 1/3 chance of beating me; then I think checking is as good as betting.