Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Stud-High Flush Draw Question

I am reading The Complete Course in Winning 7 Card Stud by Roy West. I am also playing 7-stud online for very, very small stakes.

Anyway, I am a little confused on this issue. Say I have a four flush on 4th street and I have 3 opponenets, one of which has paired his door card and probably has trips. In Roy West's book, he alludes to not drawing to the flush if your opponenet has trips on 4th since he/she will be drawing to a better hand. He doesn't come right out and say to fold in this situation, but neither does he stay to keep drawing. He also says that by 5th street you should have either the best hand or best DRAW, which again would allude to not chasing the flush with an opponent is drawing to a full house.

So, my question is: do you draw to a flush KNOWING your opponent is drawing to a full house? Up until now, I HAVE been drawing to my flushes in these situations, and only folding if my opponenet obviously has caught a full house, but now I'm not so sure I have been doing the right thing.

Assume for the sake of argument that all my cards are live as are my opponent's, and that the other players in the hand are poor players who could be in with just about anything.

Thanks for any advice,
Old 11-08-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Stud-High Flush Draw Question

I think with other players helping to improve your odds, you can chase. It looks like heads up, you're about a 2:1 dog. So, if other people are gonna stick around, i'd go ahead and play.

However, if you KNEW he had the trips, I would most likely just fold right there. For example he checkraised some knob with likely aces or something, i might fold.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:20 AM

First let me say I'm a new player and don't normally play above .50/1.00 tables.

Depending on the other 2 players in the hand I'd continue if I'm pretty sure I could raise(I'm assuming the paired door leads off and makes a SMALL bet, at this limit lots don't seem to make the double bet for some reason) on fourth and they'd call. Also if I make my flush on 5th I want to be pretty sure the players will call a bet or even a raise. If they're gonna fold the majority of times I'm not sure it's worth it.

Basically I want to be pretty certain there's gonna be enough dead money in the hand to play since I'm not always gonna make my flush and the times I do there's a chance(20-30%?) I'll get beat by a full house. Again this assumes the guy had 3 of a kind on 4th.

This may be a weak and/or dumb play. I'm sure the more experienced players can give you much better thoughts on it.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 PM

Beer sorta said this, but to make it more clear: a lot of the time, especially at very low limits, people play enough hands that you shouldn't automatically fear trips. And since even when they do have trips you have ok equity in a multiway pot, you can play on. But if you're headsup or against someone you believe to be solid, or are worried that it will get raised behind you, then you should just fold.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:59 PM

If, and it's a big if, you know that exactly one of your opponents is drawing to a full house in a 4-way pot, you can keep drawing. For one, you'll know either through his actions or if he pairs again on board that you can drop out. Of course, if multiple opponents pair their door on 4th, get the fudge out.

If you aren't really sure, and it's multiway, than it definitely IS worth drawing since your opponents could hold anything.

Heads-up, it's not too smart to stay in, whether or not you think they have trips. There's just not enough money, and you're going to get charged to keep going.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:49 AM

If the pot is small, and you are heads up fold. If the pot is big or you have 1 or 2 other players in there, you should call. It also depends on how live your flush draw is, and whether anyone else may be on a flush draw. For instance if you have (Qh 4h) 7h 9h, a guy with 8c 8d bets, and someone with As 2s calls you should just fold. Not only might you be up against trips you could also be drawing to the 2nd best hand.