Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Default stud high

My comments in white below.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (use internet explorer))

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___brings-in ___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds

4th Street - (3.50 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___bets

5th Street - (2.75 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___bets ___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___checks ___raises

6th Street - (6.75 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___bets

Total pot: (6.75 BB)

Results:
Total pot $27 | Rake $1
<font color="white">

Should I have re-raised on 3rd?

What about the check-raise? Looking back on it, it seems kind of risky to give him a possible free card. I probably should have waited until 6th to check raise, if at all.

</font>
Old 11-07-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: stud high

I don't think i like much about how this one was played.

3rd- raise, especially if your going to lead out on 4th anyways, the call on 3rd to set up a check raise may work but its not as good as raising up front imho.

4th- lead into him again, or if you just called 3rd you can try for the check raise i guess.

5th-bet again, he might have been going with a 3 flush and just hit his forth club, don't give him the freecard, your hand is probably best, bet away.

6th-bet, there is no way hes got you beat here.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4th- lead into him again, or if you just called 3rd you can try for the check raise i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did lead into him, right? I mean, I bet first on that street and he called. What else could I do?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:57 PM

If you decide to not to raise third and to get your raise in on fifth, then you should check/call fourth. I would consider checking behind on fifth with unimproved jacks, , after you bet out fourth, and would almost certainly do so if I was raising light.

The line that I think is better, assuming villain isn't good enough to release a pair of jacks on third, is to reraise and then lead all the way.

The problem with your line is that it is inconsistent, and gives villain a hint you may have aces before the planned check/raise.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did lead into him, right? I mean, I bet first on that street and he called. What else could I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just saying what I would do, not really a correction there
Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 PM

I love the way this hand was played! Perfectly disguised the aces. Re-raising on 3rd is certainly an option, but you can't always play it straight up. Leading with the 10 is perfect. Does he have aces? Make 10's? Four to broadway? Who knows. The check on 5th follows the line of play of many weaker hands, and gets the bet. Here comes the hammer, and the open 3's finishes the hand. The check-raise on 5th is harder to get if you re-raise 3rd, and you'd have to check twice to get it.

You could just pound away on every street, and with a dire need to win that specific hand I would do so, but this was a very creative way to play the hand. Next time come over the top with the A K Q and he'll probably muck.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the way this hand was played! Perfectly disguised the aces. Re-raising on 3rd is certainly an option, but you can't always play it straight up. Leading with the 10 is perfect. Does he have aces? Make 10's? Four to broadway? Who knows. The check on 5th follows the line of play of many weaker hands, and gets the bet. Here comes the hammer, and the open 3's finishes the hand. The check-raise on 5th is harder to get if you re-raise 3rd, and you'd have to check twice to get it.

You could just pound away on every street, and with a dire need to win that specific hand I would do so, but this was a very creative way to play the hand. Next time come over the top with the A K Q and he'll probably muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this kind of play doesn't work often enough to really be as profitable as leading the whole way against a guy that won't give up jacks and you'll be kicking yourself when they hit if they take their freecards. This seems like fancy plays for the sake of fancy plays, not making more money.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this kind of play doesn't work often enough to really be as profitable as leading the whole way against a guy that won't give up jacks and you'll be kicking yourself when they hit if they take their freecards. This seems like fancy plays for the sake of fancy plays, not making more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, I read the stakes as 20/40, not 2/4. At 2/4 I re-raise and lead every street.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:30 AM

I prefer a raise on third street. Your hand plays better heads-up, and there's really no reason to get fancy at $2/4 anyway. Your line is fine, but I think that pounding away until he cries "uncle" is better.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:59 PM

Although I would raise 3rd, I do like the call 3rd, bet 4th, checkraise 5th line sometimes.