Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-01-2005, 04:24 PM

Default 20/40 high: Marginal

This was from a good game the other day, lots of loosies. Raising 3rd is obviously an option, thoughts? 5th raise clear? If he bets 7th do you call? What if you don't catch that 3?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th Street - (2.30 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises

6th Street - (6.30 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (10.30 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___...
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___???

Total pot: (10.30 BB)
Old 11-01-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: 20/40 high: Marginal

I like raising 3rd here, but you can play it either way.

Since you did not raise 3rd and the pot being so small on 4th I would have folded once I bricked on 4th. There is not much to chase and you have no hand.

Raising 5th looks OK to me. Opponents hand is most likely a straight draw with a small pair. If it's an open-ended draw though you're actually a bit of a dog I believe so it's a close call.

I check 6th, you have shown enough power and all you have is a pair of Tens. His hand looks too good on board.

Easy call on 7th, Tens-up with three 3's gone will win often in this spot.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM

he's only beating you with the case 3, bad trips, a dead flush, or something like QQ in the hole that hit 2 pair on the river. I think he might just be betting scare cards the whole way.

raising is probably a bad play, your only gonna make him fold a worse hand probably and he's calling or reraising when hes got you beat, I call.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:01 PM

Calling on third is fine. Raising would be fine too. With the pot so small, I would probably fold fourth. I don't get the check-raise on fifth. I would probably bet, or I might check and call.

Why are you asking about what to do on the river? If you're thinking about folding, you shouldn't have called the raise on sixth.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:02 AM

Easy river call. Lots of players will raise the one gap four straight regardless of whether they have it. And since you had a pair of 10's and no draw, you must have had serious doubts you were locked out on 6th. Now another three falls and you improve---can't fold now. Your decision on folding took place on 6th.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:34 AM

i pretty much think exactly the same thing as andy on every st.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:36 PM

Its really hard to put this guy on a hand that involves a 3 in the hole. Especially since we've seen a bunch of them. I think the river is a raise, and you won't risk being 3 bet, if he has the straight, his hand will seem obvious and he will be reluctant to raise.

I call 7th unimproved but expect to be shown a crummy 2 pair.

I fold 4th. Even though you're confident your opponents don't have much, neither do you.

I'm really not sure about 5th, but i like the raise.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Default RESULTS

He actually checked behind on the river, I lied. But it illustrates what I thought was interesting about the river, which is that while some people will fire another bluff, in general they will also know that if I call 6th I'm calling 7th (as a number of you pointed out). Given that, if he bets on the river I think he'll at least have two small pair a lot, often enough that the choice may be closer than you guys imply. But maybe I'm wrong.

Of course the river wasn't actually what I was interested in, but I thought I'd address that first since it's what most people commented on. I honestly didn't even think about folding 4th, maybe it's a leak. I'd like to hear more about why Andy and Carlos would either bet or just call on 5th, I thought that it was pretty clear that the guy who bet would bet again (because he caught decent), and that I'd like to get the other guy out.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly didn't even think about folding 4th, maybe it's a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it’s pretty close, but I’d fold (at 20/40, not at 2/4 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). Then again, I prefer raising on 3rd, so I wouldn’t be in that spot.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to hear more about why Andy and Carlos would either bet or just call on 5th,

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I would have check-raised too.

Also, I kinda like Beer’s idea to raise on the river. Anymore thoughts on that?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Ok, 20/40 is the tightest ante structure on partypoker, this makes 4th a pretty clear fold. Raising 3rd is an option but I usually just limp with my 3 flushes unless im the first one in. I like the raise on 5th, but I would definitely just check 6th street. Most of the time he is going to bet no matter what when you check so you still usually get the money in when your ahead but don't have to deal with a raise.

The river is a call. You've come this far there is too much in there now to fold.