Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting

Old 12-31-2005, 02:10 AM

Default New to middling - how big of an edge is needed

I've read the FAQ and a few posts, and I want to try middling some games - so I'm wondering what is needed in terms of a spread.

For example, if one team is favored by -2.5 -110 on one site, and -3 -110 on another, you are basically getting 10:1 that the team wins by exactly 3. Is that enough of an edge? I'm assuming it isn't. But what is considered a minimal middle?

Thanks for any help. Bonus points if you can say minimal middle 5 times really fast . . .
Old 12-31-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: New to middling - how big of an edge is needed

In the NFL, that is actually a slightly profitable middle. It would be terrible for any number other than 3, though. I am PM'ing you a link that might help.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:13 AM

Sharp Sports Betting has a table that shows the "Frequencies of Pushes Against the Spread" that is helpful determining the value of middles. (Page 234, for those playing at home) FYI 3 is listed as 10%. This is also helpful when determining when to buy points and calculating how much they should be worth. I would also think that you should be able to find a similar list somewhere on the internet.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 AM

The website, www.sharpsportsbetting.com, should also have all the same tables updated since last year. Just go to their site and there will be a link that says "tables". You can then look at the Excel sheets.

craig

I haven't checked in a while, so I don't know for certain if it has been updated for last year.