Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-24-2005, 03:14 PM

Default ALL Forum Splitting Comments/Suggestions Go here!

The new threadsa are out of control, all posts go here, or else they get deleted.
~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: ALL Forum Splitting Comments/Suggestions Go here!

Here are the 3 that were up if you want to read them...

Original from LearnedfromTV

Betgo's Take

BPA234's take
~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 04:03 PM

First of all, I don't agree with locking the other threads and making one thread. The threads were taking different approaches. Mine was a satire. Well, I was half serious.

This is what they do on WPT. If you wanted to discuss something about the WSOP while it was going on, it had to be in an official thread with 500 posts on different subjects all mixed in.

There is a lot of noise in this forum, but I don't know what the solution is. The problem is much worse in the WPT forum, which has sort of been abandoned to the fish. Also, forums on other sites generally have less intelligent discussion.

You certainly could break it by buyin, but then a lot of interesting posts about hands from low buyin events would not get the proper treatment. There are also many pros who play in <$100 online tournaments, somewhat unlike with cash games.

I was kind of joking about the junk forum, but you could have a separate forum for sweat requests, OT, LC, micro buyins, and beginners questions. That might eliminate some noise without being too draconian.

Obviously, it would be hard to say this is a stupid question. Move it to the junk forum. I know some of my posts have been called "retarded" or "worst post ever", but whether or not you agreed with me, they were not beginners topics.

The moderator could move to this other topic forum OT, LC, very low buyin, sweat requests, and obvious beginners questions in a fairly objective way.

The bad beat forum has been very successful. I like it for a number of reasons. First, moderators can move bad beat posts there. Secondly I can post hands where my runner runner quads queens beat runner runner quad threes, or where my quads lost to a straight flush, or when I busted three people out of a tournament on one hand, winning the tournament. I don't get flamed there for posting stuff like that.

Therefore, I think a micro buyin, beginners, off topic, low content, and sweat forum might get a lot of posts, like the BBV forum does.

An elite posters forum would certainly have interesting discussion. Obviously, there is a question of how you determine who is an elite poster. It is very difficult in poker to determine who has top level results. Some people may have final tables in major tournaments because they can afford to buyin to all of them, but they could be much weaker players than grinder pros who play at a lower buyin.

Also, there are different levels of posters. There are real beginner level posters. A lot of intermediate level posters like myself probably wouldn't like being kept out of the most interesting discussions. I certainly like to make my "stupid" comments about hands from major tournaments.

However, if strong players want to start a private forum with the output publicly available, I am sure that would be very interestig reading. Also, people could start a private discussion forum where their secrets were not publically available, if that is what they want to do.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:12 PM

The decision to lock them was mine and mine only. I did it because a trend was being started and splitting threads were multiplying so I nipped it in the bud. I am sorry you do not agree with it.
~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 04:13 PM

The idea of and 'elite' forum would turn away more people than it would help. Leaving an arbitrary decision to mods to say one poster is better than another is a horrid idea.
~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 05:47 PM

There was a thread a little while ago about someone who played a hand with ZeeJustin... in a 20 dollar tournament. He was obviously playing for TLB points, but the hand in question was a pretty dificult decision. If it had been an unknown opponent, it would have been an easy push. However the fact that it was ZJ put an interesting spin on a seemingly standard 20+2 hand. That hand would be lost in a forum split by buy in.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:10 PM

J:

FWIW, I am glad you consolidated the posts. In an effort to further clarify my suggestion, I would like to restate the key points. Hopefully, I can get the idea out correctly and then the idea can live or die accordingly.

Effectively communicating in writing is very difficult. I believe several words in my post poorly represented what I was suggesting. Split and elite seemed to respectively create the impression that I was advocating a deconstruction of the board and that only the "elite" were worth interacting with.

Neither is the case. I think that this board is excellent and I do not believe there are any major issues with the board. At the same time, with the growing popularity of the board and the resulting increase in the number of posts, I think that the board could benefit from category organization.

I would vote for organizing the board along the lines (buy-in)that you referenced in your post. Also, I think that categories for "Official MTT" and "Final Table Sweat" threads makes sense.

Finally, my suggestion centered on the creation of a discussion group that all members could read. But, posting was only for members who had achieved a level of consistent winning play at a higher-level.

IMO, an easy solution to removing any concerns about how or who to choose for this group would be to strictly, rely on a merit system.

Tournament poker is well documented. Setting a benchmark for full participation based on a player's published results would be an accurate way to start, develop and maintain the discussion group. This group would remain open for any 2+2 member who achieved those results and wanted to participate.

I believe that a discussion group like this would be a tremendous value and benefit to all 2+2 members.

Hope this post clarifies my suggestion and generates some positive discussion.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:44 PM

I think you bring up a good point with the Official MTT and Sweat as 2 areas, I would moreover clarify this and look at something along the lines of..
a) MTT Strategy/Theory
b) MTT Sweat/Official Tournament Thread (Needs a catchier name)

I think that is the easiest distinction to make.
The problems I see with the others are as follows...
Like I mentioned, excluding new players and others not deemed elite from a given forum is a bad idea, there will always be snubs, which inevitably some of which will be valuable posters who will stop posting, and I dont think a forum of elite posters would continue to receive the traffic warranted for such a split.

Secondly, splitting the forum from low and high would leave some room for interpretation as to where rebuys go and also as mentioned before, some hands that come late in $20 can be applicable to early $500 play, tournament play is tournament play no matter which way you slice it and while opponent skill and stack deepness comes into play there are general concepts that stretch beyond buyins. It is, however, the grey area that makes this option less appealing for me.
~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 06:46 PM

My suggestion is similar to the one I put forward in a joking way in the thread I started. Split it into "MTT-Strategy" and "MTT-Miscellaneous". The MTT-Miscellaneous would include all sweat threads, official tournament threads, off topic, low content, beginners questions and micro buyin.

It should generally be up to the poster to determine what is low content, a beginners question, or micro buyin. The moderator could move thread where there are objective criteria and in extreme cases, such as questions about folding AA preflop.

I think this has the advantage of letting people ask beginners questions, make low content posts, and post sweat threads without getting flamed.

This works well for me. I play in $1000 tournaments, but also play in the $5 rebuy, $2 rebuy speed, or fpp tournaments sometimes while multitabling. Sometimes I 8-table $20 20-table SNGs or $15 2-table SNGs. I don't want my posts onse segregated out because they are low buyin.

I don't want to have wade through most of the stuff that would be in the miscellaneous forum. However, sometimes I want to make a low content poist and not be flamed.

Similarly, with the BBV forum, I appreciate all that junk being over in BBV, but sometimes I want somewhere to post my quads versus quads hand without getting flamed.

I think this approach would reduce the noise and clutter in a way that would cause minimal inconvenience to poisters and minimal controversy.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:56 PM

I said some of this in another post, but:

1. I think that allowing players to self-select "Advanced" status would work. No snubs since nobody is kept out, and I think that most players have a pretty realistic view of themselves. Honestly, how many $5-20 players like me would have the chutzpa to say, "Hey, I'm one of the most insightful posters here."

2. Sort of a variant on the "Play a hand with the Masters." Have a forum where only advanced players can make the origial post, but anyone can reply. That cuts out a lot of the "Should I fold AA pre-flop?" stuff, but still allows people like me to be involved.

Just my my two cents.

Sam